Golf Pro’s Overall package

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just wondering what the average earrings of a single Pro is with say 600 members and how broke down. e.g.
Retainer
Comm. Green Fees
Lessons
Shop sales etc.

Realise it will be different from say Wentworth to a 9 hole course in The Borders with 250 members.

Are there average figures/earnings?

D-S

Visit site
Every deal will be different.
For example with a lot of green fees being taken online, there is not as much admin for the Pro shop anymore so many clubs have taken away or reduced the % of green fees.
Some clubs, pre pandemic, had incentives for the Pro for getting new members; other Pros get all or some of the driving range ball money dependent on their input.
Most retail operations are exclusively those of the Pro but more and more clubs are bringing them in house as margins are so low for local Pros.
Large clubs with a lot of visitor footfall (so therefore possibly a more profitable retail operation) have removed retainers altogether.
Clubs with good practice facilities will likely have more lesson opportunities and possibly more teaching Pros from whom the Head Pro can get a % of lesson fees.
So I would have thought averages in any one category will be relatively meaningless.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know but confidentiality means I cannot divulge details. Let’s just say the club gets absurdly good value services for what it pays the pros. Retail side…the club owns the shop with the club giving the head pro a target for retail turnover and profit - what the pros take from retail is not significant. Range balls are free to members so nothing that route. We have a strong academy and 100+ on the waiting list so no need to incentivise the pros getting new members - though there might be something around conversions from academy to full and getting scratch/v low hcappers onto the waiting list…not sure on that.

The profession is only a viable one as a result of lessons - building a network of member clients - but that makes moving clubs, for such as a greater retention payment, problematic.

Last edited:

CountLippe

Visit site
At 2 clubs I've been a member of, commission from green fees / administering comps has been included in the retainer. The retainers were around 20k out of which they would need to pay their assistant. Running costs of the pro shop were covered by the club. Earnings from lessons and sales are all the pro's and would very much depend on how much effort they put in.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to have the pro on retainer but now all Pro shop staff are employees of the club.
Also all pro shop stock is owned the club and not by the pro.
They earn extra from lessons, repairs etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ask your club to send you a copy of the last agm , will show you how much ure club gives the pro.
Probably wrapped up into a Staff Salaries total. Doubt the Financial/Accounts Summary for an AGM or any made available to members will identify specific salaries for specific members of staff. Ours certainly doesn’t .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We used to have the pro on retainer but now all Pro shop staff are employees of the club.
Also all pro shop stock is owned the club and not by the pro.
They earn extra from lessons, repairs etc.
I think most club pros will have retainers/salaries of a level such that income from lessons comprise the bulk of their income and not an extra. I also suspect that members of a club might well be rather shocked at the level of retainer/salary their pro(s) get from the club - and not shocked how large it is.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think most club pros will have retainers/salaries of a level such that income from lessons comprise the bulk of their income and not an extra. I also suspect that members of a club might well be rather shocked at the level of retainer/salary their pro(s) get from the club - and not shocked how large it is.

When our pro was on retainer the amount was clearly identified in the clubs accounts. What was not clear was the extras such as how much he got paid for running the driving range.

Albo

Visit site
I think I’ve spoken to the pro at the club I’m a member of twice.
I have no idea what he earns or gets paid, talking to pros at other clubs there is a common theme that it’s not enough, but then, how much of that is the general life moan versus reality.