Golf Opens 2021

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
This years current booking are:-

May - Leamington Golf
July - St Annes Old Links
August - Lancaster

All mixed comps. Looking forward to them.

AliMc

Visit site
This years current booking are:-

May - Leamington Golf
July - St Annes Old Links
August - Lancaster

All mixed comps. Looking forward to them.
My mate and I are playing in an open gents pairs at The Roxburghe tomorrow, don't know if I'm looking forward to it or not as the forecast is bloody awful !

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate and I are playing in an open gents pairs at The Roxburghe tomorrow, don't know if I'm looking forward to it or not as the forecast is bloody awful !
I wish you well. MiB and myself played in one up there around September last year. A very windy day, off the whites. I still wake up occasionally in cold sweats thinking about it. It's a fabulous course but off the whites and in bad weather it is seriously tough. I was drained by the end.

I'd like to play it again on a nice day, off the yellow tees :D. I hope you have an early morning time, based on the forecast.

AliMc

Visit site
I wish you well. MiB and myself played in one up there around September last year. A very windy day, off the whites. I still wake up occasionally in cold sweats thinking about it. It's a fabulous course but off the whites and in bad weather it is seriously tough. I was drained by the end.

I'd like to play it again on a nice day, off the yellow tees :D. I hope you have an early morning time, based on the forecast.
We played in the same one, playing very tough, we didn't threaten the leaderboard but my mate won Ntp at the 8th so we have a free 4 ball early next month, we are teeing off at 10:00, the rain is forecast to be at its worst between 11:00 - 12:00 so will no doubt get soaked, I'm nipping up to AG this afternoon to get a rain cover for my bag and some cheap gloves !

NearHull

Visit site
Fulford Seniors Open yesterday. 4BBB Stableford. they insisted on 100% handicap allowance instead of the mandatory 85% allowance. Winning pair of high handicappers - score of 55 pts. Will they get as many entrants next year?

my pp commented that the last time he saw a 55 it was on a Britvic bottle.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fulford Seniors Open yesterday. 4BBB Stableford. they insisted on 100% handicap allowance instead of the mandatory 85% allowance. Winning pair of high handicappers - score of 55 pts. Will they get as many entrants next year?

my pp commented that the last time he saw a 55 it was on a Britvic bottle.
Madness, you never got full on the old system

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played in the same one, playing very tough, we didn't threaten the leaderboard but my mate won Ntp at the 8th so we have a free 4 ball early next month, we are teeing off at 10:00, the rain is forecast to be at its worst between 11:00 - 12:00 so will no doubt get soaked, I'm nipping up to AG this afternoon to get a rain cover for my bag and some cheap gloves !
How did you get on? My open today was called off at 12.15, I was 5 holes in. Greens were waterlogged. It will get rescheduled, hopefully the weather will be better. Hopefully they will do the same for you, assuming it was also called off.

AliMc

Visit site
How did you get on? My open today was called off at 12.15, I was 5 holes in. Greens were waterlogged. It will get rescheduled, hopefully the weather will be better. Hopefully they will do the same for you, assuming it was also called off.
Weather wise we were absolutely fine, just a couple of light showers, course was heavy and playing very long, we both played pretty poorly, got off to a bad start and never really recovered, our pp's played well, 64 better ball for 44 points i think, just can't understand this apparent obsession with Stableford though, maybe it's just me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weather wise we were absolutely fine, just a couple of light showers, course was heavy and playing very long, we both played pretty poorly, got off to a bad start and never really recovered, our pp's played well, 64 better ball for 44 points i think, just can't understand this apparent obsession with Stableford though, maybe it's just me.
I'm pleased you escaped the deluge ?.

In terms of format if it was stroke play then I suspect you would lose a big chunk of entrants, mid to higher handicaps. Stableford is a more user friendly system, even if it is psychological. I think this might be a Scotland/ England split. All of the Opens around me are stableford, mostly pairs or 4bbb. I get the impression that north of the border it is more singles and stroke play.

AliMc

Visit site

In terms of format if it was stroke play then I suspect you would lose a big chunk of entrants, mid to higher handicaps. Stableford is a more user friendly system, even if it is psychological. I think this might be a Scotland/ England split. All of the Opens around me are stableford, mostly pairs or 4bbb. I get the impression that north of the border it is more singles and stroke play.
Yeah think you are probably right with that, reflecting on yesterday our pp's were off 10 and 14 and played really well to shoot 8 under, my pp and I off 5 and 7 were never going to challenge that given the conditions and state of the course (usually in very good condition but very obviously affected by the lack of heat, needs some growth badly) coming from the immaculate greens at Dunbar we really struggled to get the ball anywhere near the hole. We have a voucher for a 4 ball and were intending to go in a few weeks before one of our guys has a knee op but it's valid until September so are going to leave it until then

AliMc

Visit site

Certainly seems, in reading the various threads on here, that stableford is much more the thing with you than us, we probably only play one a year along with one bogey comp, everything else is stroke play, maybe that's why Roxburghe had it as a stableford, it's too near the border !
Most of the accents in the clubhouse were from your neck of the woods although the guys we played with were from Hawick

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly seems, in reading the various threads on here, that stableford is much more the thing with you than us, we probably only play one a year along with one bogey comp, everything else is stroke play, maybe that's why Roxburghe had it as a stableford, it's too near the border !
Most of the accents in the clubhouse were from your neck of the woods although the guys we played with were from Hawick
It's hugely well regarded in Northumberland and only an hour or so away for most of us here so I'm not surprised you heard a few accents ?

The other point that came to me regarding stableford is pace of play. With stableford 2 out of the 4 might pick up, in strokeplay all 4 need to putt out. At somewhere like The Roxburghe you can rack up some big scores so picking up is no bad thing. It keeps the groups moving along better.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stableford is a good format, especially in pairs events.

My old club had their weekend comps as strokeplay, however all the midweek ones as Stableford. I believe that decision was taken as it is quicker and better for the evening players if light is short.

I like Stableford personally.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Moor Alleron, Leeds yesterday at £40 a man. Like many places the course is very slow getting into condition. Need to get back mid-Summer. IMO for your average golfer it's the best test of golf that Leeds has to offer.
In contrast, I was at Seaton Carew today for a Seniors Open at just £20 & already it's in close to Summer conditions with greens absolutely 'carpet' like. The progress this course has made in the last couple of years is absolutely remarkable. Still spaces in their Aug Festival week, so play it soon as the price will only go one way & rapidly as it improves even more.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Moor Alleron, Leeds yesterday at £40 a man. Like many places the course is very slow getting into condition. Need to get back mid-Summer. IMO for your average golfer it's the best test of golf that Leeds has to offer.
In contrast, I was at Seaton Carew today for a Seniors Open at just £20 & already it's in close to Summer conditions with greens absolutely 'carpet' like. The progress this course has made in the last couple of years is absolutely remarkable. Still spaces in their Aug Festival week, so play it soon as the price will only go one way & rapidly as it improves even more.

I've been looking at sc and nearly booked in but due to pressure on time had to book a family holiday in August instead ?. Do they do the festival every year?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been looking at sc and nearly booked in but due to pressure on time had to book a family holiday in August instead ?. Do they do the festival every year?
Yep in Aug every year. The Sun b/ball is traditionally off Whites the remainder Yellows. It might be £30 next year as they are very actively, driving the course improvements forward.⛳?️‍♂️

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep in Aug every year. The Sun b/ball is traditionally off Whites the remainder Yellows. It might be £30 next year as they are very actively, driving the course improvements forward.⛳?️‍♂️

Great stuff. I'll be booking a few days over there next year I think.