Golf lessons

Woggathe boy

Visit site
I've decided to get some golf lessons. I'm pretty new to golf after giving up rugby at the end of last season. I've just got a handicap of 19 but I strike the ball quite well but I'm very erratic. I played the first 10 holes the other day with 4 bogeys, 4 pars, a birdie and a 5 over. I then finished the round 20 over when it all went wrong.

I know I need some help with set up as I generally hit it fairly straight but it can be down the completely wrong line. How do I approach lessons, I'm concerned that if he gives me too much to think about I'll stop enjoying it and see it more as a chore. I'm really enjoying golf and found it a breath of fresh air from rugby where I was exceptionally competitive to a more laid back approach with golf. Don't want to ruin that.

Do I just go see a pro and he'll correct things or do I need to go with things I want putting right because I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

Hopefully getting booked in in the next week or so.

RobRob

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would tell him what area of the game you want to work on first (where ever you loose most shots on the course)

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would go with an open mind, tell your pro what you have just told us and let him earn his money from there, sounds like there is a game in there 19 is not a bad starting HC, just keep enjoying yourself

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Work on the basics to start with cause if these are not right you will be inconsistent. A good pro should give you one or two drills to work on over an agreed time. Swing changes take time to groove so dont expect massive improvement immediately and find the time to practice these and persevere.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've decided to get some golf lessons. I'm pretty new to golf after giving up rugby at the end of last season. I've just got a handicap of 19 but I strike the ball quite well but I'm very erratic. I played the first 10 holes the other day with 4 bogeys, 4 pars, a birdie and a 5 over. I then finished the round 20 over when it all went wrong.

I know I need some help with set up as I generally hit it fairly straight but it can be down the completely wrong line. How do I approach lessons, I'm concerned that if he gives me too much to think about I'll stop enjoying it and see it more as a chore. I'm really enjoying golf and found it a breath of fresh air from rugby where I was exceptionally competitive to a more laid back approach with golf. Don't want to ruin that.

Tell him exactly the above!

He should then assess you and the two of you should then decide/agree what to do from that point.

Golf should never become a chore. Frustrating and daft certainly, but never a chore!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good lessons are a two way street and you need to tell the pro what you are trying to achieve. Tell him how much time you are able to commit to practicing drills (if you can). Get the basics right from the start and providing you keep doing these things will improve and you'll soon be playing with far more consistency