Golf Insurance...is it worth it?

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
£30 for piece of mind not worrying about snap hooks thru windows, suicidal dog walkers and
getting cleaned out after a hole in one ( but only on a full size course and in a recognised competition and for money spent in the clubhouse that day---always read the small print !!!) You would be silly not to have insurance

We have touched this subject before, so I will repeat my advice. READ THE SMALL PRINT.

I closed the door after the horse had bolted, i.e. it was only when my whole set of golf clubs were stolen from my work van, I looked for insurance. I researched and found you get what you pay for. The firms with the annoying leaflets that drop out of golf mags seem cheap, but do they pay out?

Read the small print; had I been insured I discovered the annoying glossy leaflet firms would not have paid me out. Clubs are not covered if stolen from a van. I also discovered had they been stolen from my garage, I would not have been covered. Like many people mine are kept in the garage. I also discovered their new for old policy does not include equipment older than 3 years .

The key factor when buying insurance is not the cost, but will they pay out? I pay a little more than I would with the annoying leaflet firms with Carrick Neill golf insurance, but I checked them out, made phone calls asked the questions and made sure I have cover that will pay out in needed. If you want decent cover you’re going to pay more than 30 quid

S

Snelly

I think it is a complete waste of money. And yes, I know those that have bought it vehemently disagree.

Why is it pointless? Well I don't have squash insurance, never had football insurance ditto any other sport that I have ever played. All of which carry the same level of risk of very serious injury.

I don't buy travel insurance either unless I am going somewhere mildly dangerous. Pet insurance is also a waste of money in my opinion.

Those who disagree are free to do so and spend their money on whatever they like of course.

My own view is that your attitude to insuring is really just a simple reflection of your approach to risk in life. Some like to mitigate against worst case scenarios and some, like me, prefer to roll the dice a bit more, safe in the knowledge that whilst worst case scenarios can happen, they rarely do.

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
looking at the policy document, the exclusions for theft are vast (including you can't claim if they were stolen between 10pm - 6am!, or if they were stolen from your car whilst it was at your home address or place of work) so i would just get the cheapest policy with liability as unless you leave your clubs locked at the golf club and they get stolen (how likely is that:!) then it's no use.

Also seems they have a single item cap of £200, so if your electric trolley gets nicked - they won't be replacing the cost of that...

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
My policy covers new for old, clubs whether at home, in car or elsewhere plus personal and third party insurance, all for less than a couple of quid a week. To me it's a no brainer.

S

Snelly

For around 3 pounds a month which is 10p a day it's pretty stupid not to take it out really!

Then I am stupid. Or maybe it is stupid to spend money on something that you will in all probability, never use?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
looking at the policy document, the exclusions for theft are vast (including you can't claim if they were stolen between 10pm - 6am!, or if they were stolen from your car whilst it was at your home address or place of work) so i would just get the cheapest policy with liability as unless you leave your clubs locked at the golf club and they get stolen (how likely is that:!) then it's no use.

Also seems they have a single item cap of £200, so if your electric trolley gets nicked - they won't be replacing the cost of that...

Exactly what happened to me a few years back. Club was broken into overnight and they smashed up the whole locker room, got away with 40ish sets of clubs plus other bits etc. Thankfully was covered fully on house insurance (and still am to this day with my golf gear clearly listed!)