Golf Course

stiletto

Visit site
I wanted to buy my husband a round of golf for a special occasion. Looking for somewhere special that accepts the public. We live in London but he would be happy to travel an hour to play. Can anyone recommend somewhere?

Thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personal choice would probably be Woburn (which is just south of Milton Keynes up the M1) albeit its on the limit of your travel. Closer to home the Grove (Watford) would be an option. There are several decent options in Surrey but expect they may be too long travel wise

stiletto

Visit site
He has played at The Grove before or it would have been perfect. I will have a look at Woburn. Could you give me the options in Surrey and I can check if they are a possibility.

Thanks so much!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some of these may be outside budget/hard to get on youd have to check but Sunningdale, Wentworth, St Georges Hill are the real top end then you have other really good courses like Hankley Common, West Hill, Woking

stiletto

Visit site
Wentworth was my first choice but they are private members only now, which is a shame.

Thanks everyone for replying. I’ll have a look at your recommendations.

From a grateful golf widow.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
What is his handicap? Did he like The Grove? Asking to get a clue about sort of courses he likes.... Grove, quite new and hotelly, so service orientated.. Woburn is excellent, 3 courses, great off course facilities... The other courses mentioned are all really good "old school"

D

Deleted member 21258

Swinley Forest

or

Woburn would be my pick for the money.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I wanted to buy my husband a round of golf for a special occasion. Looking for somewhere special that accepts the public. We live in London but he would be happy to travel an hour to play. Can anyone recommend somewhere?

Thanks
Does your husband have a handicap ? Some of the top clubs have handicap limits. Think Sunningdale is 18, and have seen another club with 22. They may need to see a certificate.

St George’s Hill in Surrey is stunning, though you want to play the Red and Blue, and not the Green. There are three nine hole courses.

Three W’s are lovely. West Hill, Worplesdon and Woking. There are two courses at Walton Heath, so if your husband fancied 36 holes it would be a good choice.

stiletto

Visit site
I can’t remember his handicap despite how many times he has told me! Thank you all for you replies. I like the look of Woburn but will look into all your suggestions.