Golf Clubs in the Wokingham/Bracknell/Ascot Area

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, first post on the forum after lurking for a while - I need some advice!

I'm looking at joining a club again after a break of 10+ years, and I wondered if anyone had any experience of either Mill Ride or SandMartins? I'm looking to play early weekend mornings (7/7.30), and occasionally in the evenings.

Has anyone got any experience of these clubs in terms of pace of play, how easy it is to get a tee time etc? SandMartins would be a good fit as generally it is just a roll-up at the weekends, Mill Ride is closer, but the roll up doesn't start until 9, so I'd have to book a tee time as a single.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome along! i am a bit further down the road, but there are loads of guys on here who live/play around that area, Homer, PNWokingham, Hawkeye are the 3 that spring to mind, think RicharT is near there too... You will have a lot of options by the end of the day i'm sure!

Welcome to the forum! enjoy and get involved!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could always try Royal Ascot. No tee bookings at any time and plenty of roll-up groups at the weekends. Homer and I play in groups that go out at about 8 on Saturdays and Sundays and it rarely if ever takes more than 4 hours to go round (even in comps). There are groups that go out earlier and later.

I can't comment on the other two clubs having not been a member there but I can tell you that RAGC is a rapidly improving course, you will find better courses in the area obviously but you will have to go a long way to find a better club.

If you fancy a round at some point, let me know.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cycled past sand martins about mins ago and course looked very empty.
Lots of expensive non-plated bmw's coming out the main gate also,mso some kind of event must have been on

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I live in Wokingham and play at Bearwood Lakes. Naturally I think that is the discerning choice.

I also know Sandmartins pretty well and will be playing there on Thursday. The course can get busy but I think it is also pretty friendly there. New members find it pretty easy to get involved. The course is a course of two halves. I like the second nine better.

If you are serious about joining make sure you get a game and a good look around.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I live in Wokingham and play at Bearwood Lakes. Naturally I think that is the discerning choice.

I also know Sandmartins pretty well and will be playing there on Thursday. The course can get busy but I think it is also pretty friendly there. New members find it pretty easy to get involved. The course is a course of two halves. I like the second nine better.

If you are serious about joining make sure you get a game and a good look around.
I actually used to be a member at SandMartins, and played a few holes there a while back, and I'm playing it Saturday in the roll up as I want to see how easy it is to get on, and check out the pace of play etc.

I am paying Mill Ride tomorrow to check out the course.

Thanks again for everyone's replies - I'd love to join Bearwood but I would think its out of my price range!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My wife worked at Sand Martins a few years back. The owner is trying to make it a society and corporate cash cow and members are struggling to get a (booked) tee time midweek to suit them. I've sent a PM regarding Ascot but there aren't any booking times (except for comps and you can roll up and play in the comp later if that suits). Ideal for rocking up first thing or after work. No tee times, two tee start - perfect.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few other options that I would consider:

Sonning - haven't played for 15 years but they have spent a lot of money over recent years (some has gone ion the subs) and changed the part of the course that I didn't like - I can always remember thinking the practice area should be off on the left not in the middle of the nice view from the club - and they have changed it and designed a nice new 18th that doglegs in front of the clubhouse - must try soon as I like the sound of the changes

Calcot - a recent comment from someone I know was that the course was in awesome condition

East Berks - still never played but it looks pretty

North Hants - probably my top option in looking for a new club -further to travel but only 10 miles - and a lovely course

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, I'm also at Bearwood Lakes, joined 18 months ago, best decision I ever made in golf. However, we all know it ain't cheap.

I came from East Berkshire GC, which is a great track. I'd recommend you go have a look.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bearwood was looking mighty nice yesterday evening at eight while supping a cold Peroni on the balcony. Club champs today and tomorrow and I can't play:( - although Swinger, snelly (his friend Chris) and I are taking it on off the blacks tomorrow to see if anyone can shoot handicap

Not sure if this link will work - a bit of a technophobe!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2544qz727ux842/2013-06-21 19.48.38.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Windlesham could well also be worth considering.

Not same quality course as the likes of Mill Ride, but it's developing and the social side is different and may suit you better. Probably little difference in time to get there either - as getting through Bracknell can be tortuous at times.