Golf Club Membership - Poll no. 3 for those not currently golf club members

If you are not currently a club member, what might persuade you to join/rejoin?

• More time to play golf

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Flexible options including points schemes/pay as you play memberships

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Age-related subscription discounts

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Better course conditioning

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Introductory offers/deals (e.g. 15 months for the price of 12)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other incentives (e.g. reciprocal arrangements with other clubs)

• Other (please advise)

• Total voters

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
As per the first golf club membership thread, here is the third and final poll for those who are not - or are no longer - golf club members, looking to find out what might persuade you to join or rejoin.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
New course for me once we move, either this summer or next spring depending on how long it takes to finally move and then get settled

Course and its condition, feel of club, roll ups/drawn comps etc will most likely make my decision, reciprocals and any deals will obviously be gratefully received but not critical

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing I would like to see is all the days comps being played simultaneously.

?????

So to explain. Mens medal and ladies medal on same day but ladies are usually out either before or after the men or even on different days. If both comps were run all day the ladies could mix in with the men but both play in different comps. Yes yes, I realise 90% of blokes would be against this, but it should be about how golf clubs can get more players to join. Which means more guaranteed income. This sort of arrangement coupled with flexi membership would then entice my wife to join. Therefore a club could have two members paying flexi subs and spending in the bar, not just one.
Just a thought.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
I have just recently joined a club, it was not the nearest or cheapest but obviously logistics have to factor in the overall decision.

The overriding reason for me as to why I chose the club over any of the others was how welcome I was made to feel and how well I (and my son (9) as a potential cadet) would be integrated into the club as a new members.

This has clearly been discussed by the club committee as they have new member buddies allocated to new members. They run a cadet academy with weekly training for my son and a graduation scheme to get him up to full cadet membership. I turned up for my first Saturday peak time on my own and went home with the choice of three different roll ups to attend over any weekend.

I am not naïve enough to think that every member will be as welcoming, happy and non cliquey but provided a majority are you are onto a winner.

The members make the club.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I left my old club in 2015 due to family commitments. At the moment I can't justify a four-figure sum just to play every few weeks. I am currently 'a nomad' with no home but playing a few different courses.

The downside to this is I don't have an official handicap. It would be great if there was a way for nomads to have an official handicap but I'm not really sure how this could be achieved.

I knew many members of my old club but it was so cliquey that any new members struggled to get a game. There were no roll-ups at the weekend. I was always on at the committee members to instigate one. They were always complaining that for some reason things 'don't work' at the club e.g. catering pro shop etc. Starting a rollup would probably sort many of the issues the club was facing. I got a tweet the other day stating that they were starting a weekend sweep.

I think if I found the time when the kids were older I would need to join a club with a rollup as this is definitely the best way to meet people.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I stopped my membership in 2012 (wow, can’t believe it is that long) as i just wasn’t getting anywhere near value for money given the amount I was able to play through life, fami,y, work, injury etc.

Hence flexible might tempt me back

That or winning the lottery :)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I am considering looking for a club once we finally decided where we move to.

Having never been a club member I am looking of something which is good for a beginner and singleton, so good practice facilities, possibly an academy, and friendly to singletons with rollups or other partner matching ways so I can get games in. All that to a fair price.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing would tempt me back to being a member . I play golf where i want , with who i want , when i want . And i only pay when i play , if the weather is bad or other commitments stop me playing , i dont play , it costs me zilch ! Membership ? i would rather go fishing !