Golf club car snobbery

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does it matter what car you drive to the golf club? Visited a club a few weeks ago (I won't name it but it's quite a well known near Wolverhampton), with an AG voucher so not been there before. Had a few not so subtle digs at me by the members as I had used the wife's (slightly) dented Ford to get there. It wasn't up the standard of the (mostly) German cars in the car park apparently. They were probably on finance anyway and i've got better things to spend my money on - a car just gets you from A to B. I let the comments slide but i'm still annoyed about it. Most of the clubs around me have big banners outside begging for new members so i'm really surprised there still seems to be a bit of snobbery around.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never had an issue. Been to some proper posh clubs and I've got a 8 year old civic as my golf and work car

Keep the proper car for family

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No a problem where I play...White Vans parked next to big Mercs etc etc

I remember a thread a few years back,. (here or on another forum) where a club sent members a little asking them not to come to the club in commercial vehicles! There was quite an uproar... I believe it was overturned subsequently!

I am sure this isn't confined to golf clubs either!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
No car park snobbery at Blair either. Usually there will be an Aston, Bentley, Range Rover etc parked alongside some old bangers. (And we change our golf shoes in the car park too!:eek: )

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it matter what car you drive to the golf club? Visited a club a few weeks ago (I won't name it but it's quite a well known near Wolverhampton), with an AG voucher so not been there before. Had a few not so subtle digs at me by the members as I had used the wife's (slightly) dented Ford to get there. It wasn't up the standard of the (mostly) German cars in the car park apparently. They were probably on finance anyway and i've got better things to spend my money on - a car just gets you from A to B. I let the comments slide but i'm still annoyed about it. Most of the clubs around me have big banners outside begging for new members so i'm really surprised there still seems to be a bit of snobbery around.

Snobbery?
To be honest if your worried about what people think about you your in for a very worrying life.

Be yourself and get on with life

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No snobbery at the clubs I play - but sometimes there are just some people who are like that ....

A few years ago I was playing another local club as a guest of a member.

They had removed their joining fee and gone on a recruitment drive due to their parlous finances (so were taking any golfer interested) and I was in the car park and one member said to another "we are going to need a new car park just for the white vans soon - taking anyone these days as members....".

Made me smile - wonder where they are now !

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No car snobbery at our place. Anything from Maserati's to Renault Clio's.

Agreed, often take the lambo and nobody bats an eyelid :D
Lamborghini-Replica-China-7.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Genuinely never come across anyone making comments other than myself ribbing a bloke, about 5ft 6, 8 stone wet through and driving a Bmw X6, about how it must be compensating for something. As he was the richest amongst us by a country mile he took it the way it was meant, with a smile.

Played at all sorts of clubs and never heard a disparaging comment about a car. 70's sitcom stuff.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've heard car snobbery absolutely everywhere from the supermarket to the restaurant, pub to golf club. Cars seem important to many people; marketing drives it so it's going to be there.

Worst places are probably polo matches....but it's been suggested that the local bowls club can be very tough!🤔

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We still have a club nearby that has a visitors and members separate car park, and after recent visits to a few clubs down sarf they had me park my commercial vehicle/van in a separate car park at the back of the clubhouse out of sight!

My money as a self employed business owner driving a commercial vehicle is worth just as much as some old retired types in their annually renewed cars, in fact some of the commercial 4x4 vans I've owned are worth more money than a lot of the cars in the car park so why the distinction between commercial and cars? is it an 'upstairs/downstairs' mentality?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One bloke at our club regularly turns up in his rickety ole 1980's camper van and several members drive their beaten up work vans to the club, of course you'll always get the flashards in their Mercs/BM's/Porches/Audi's etc, and as for 'Lexus' don't gimme that 'bull' it's a posh Toyota mate, nothing more... :thup:

ps, one bloke even turns up in a knackered 'Toyota Hilux' complete with crab pots in tow, and on a Sunday too...

Last edited:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played golf at my Brother-in-laws course - we were just getting our clubs out of the boot and suddenly in rolls this 4x4 with what looked like a horse box in tow.
I said to bro-in-law, why has he brought his Horse?
Its not a horse its his golf buggy! There he was backing it out as we walked away. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have some top end cars and bashed up traders vans in the car park every week. No snobbery that I've ever seen or heard. Think people are more concerned with actually getting a space rather than drive it onto the grassed overflow area that can get notoriously slippery