Golf Care Matchplay Championship - Any Good?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have experience of the above? If so is it any good? I'm thinking of entering as they've extended the entry deadline - or is that a sign there aren't many entires as it's rubbish?

Thanks

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think it will still be well attended but like last year, when you have individuals like Paul Llewellyn & James Voce competing, you don't stand much of a chance of the top spoils, although Voce I believe is now in Dubai.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it, I'd look at it as, I'm not going to win it overall but, I'll play and hopefully win some regional matches and go as far as my ability will take me, I'll play at some courses possibly not played before either for free or only 50% of the member guest green fee and I'll be playing competitive matchplay hopefully still into and through the winter. Not bad for £30.00 I don't think, as long as you don't get knocked out in the 1st round that is :eek:

:smirk:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I watched it last night and after thinking 'here comes the bandit' surprisingly anyone could have won it, over the 3 rounds I think he had 33, 38, 28 pts to win it. Although I'm not sure how that constitutes 'matchplay' :mad:

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I played it last year (out in first round) and am entered this year. As said above, I see it mainly as a good opportunity to play some new courses and stay sharp into Autumn and hopefully Winter.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ah right, I had a few sherbets while watching it so wasn't paying too much attention.

It goes over the winter so would have started 2012 and finished early this year.

The current one the OP is looking at is then essentially 2013/14.

Sherbets and keyboards don't mix, I know :eek:

V

vkurup

I entered it... and here are the dates.. Need to get the winter mitts if I get to that stage <highly unlikely>

-------------------
The draw closes on the 30th June 2013 so you can expect to receive details of your first round draw by the 19th July 2013. You will have until the 8th of September 2013 in which to play your first round match, the earlier you play the more chance you have of a home tie should you make it through to the second round.

Important Dates in the Golf Care Matchplay Championship Calendar
1st Round: 22nd July 2013 – 8th September 2013
2nd Round: 23rd September 2013 – 27th October 2013
3rd Round: 4th November 2013 – 8th December 2013
4th Round: 16th December 2014 – 26th January 2014
5th Round: 27th January 2014 – 16th March 2014
North Regional Final: 15th April 2014
South Regional Final: 17th April 2014

Grand Final: 17th – 24th May 2014

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played my 1st round tonight away against a fellow 6 handicapper....was a nice change not giving shots having had to give away 14 on Monday night in the HDID Matchplay.
Absolute top bloke and we got on really well...... I think we put the world to rights on most subjects during the round which I managed to close out on the 17th 2&1.

1st round closing date is Sept 8th, so might have a while to wait for the next round draw........wonder if I'll get to play against Voce or LLewellyn... :whistle:

llewell71

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played my 1st round tonight away against a fellow 6 handicapper....was a nice change not giving shots having had to give away 14 on Monday night in the HDID Matchplay.
Absolute top bloke and we got on really well...... I think we put the world to rights on most subjects during the round which I managed to close out on the 17th 2&1.

1st round closing date is Sept 8th, so might have a while to wait for the next round draw........wonder if I'll get to play against Voce or LLewellyn... :whistle:

Nope sorry Ricky I'm not allowed to play as they have received complaints about me playing off 6 and winning with three rounds of 32,38,28! So good luck in it!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope sorry Ricky I'm not allowed to play as they have received complaints about me playing off 6 and winning with three rounds of 32,38,28! So good luck in it!

That will be a huge relief for Rickg and other forummers who've entered, have a chance of winning it,
As the number 1 bandit that you've been labelled on here that you are........ 32,38,28, really!!!! Bandit? Those scores?
Is not going to defend.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That will be a huge relief for Rickg and other forummers who've entered, have a chance of winning it,
As the number 1 bandit that you've been labelled on here that you are........ 32,38,28, really!!!! Bandit? Those scores?
Is not going to defend.

Just a 'minor clarification' on the 'is not going to defend' phrase.

....I'm not allowed to play as they have received complaints about me...

It's apparently the GCMC organisers that have invoked their right to refuse to accept his entry.

May come across Seb Carmichael-Brown though - this year's Trilby Winner - who, I'm informed, has continued his good form by winning Saturday's Stableford with 43 points off 9 - 7 shots ahead of 2nd place. No off 7.

Last edited:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I entered and played my first round match a couple of weeks ago, least enjoyable match I have ever played, my opponent was a complete tool, after a terse exchange on meeting we barely spoke until the 12th hole when we shook hands. Just hope my 2nd round opponent is better company.

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to Dubai last May in this comp and thoroughly enjoyed the overall experience (Hotel, Golf etc were top class as was getting on guest list of bar360!). The heat in May is incredible though and very tough to play golf in!

I never entered this year due to baby number 2 on the way and if I had been luck enough to qualify again I wouldn't have been able to go. I will probably will enter next year though.

I am very interested to know if all the other people who have qualified on multiple occasions have also been banned like Paul L. Ok, they may have not won, but out of the 40 golfers, I think 7 or 8 had been in the previous 2 years. For me personally, I would want Paul in it so I could have a chance to beat him, would be a good scalp for a handicap golfer!

I think these comps may be getting fed up with the 'bandits'.....a team won the league 2 Dubai regional final the other day and were subsequently disqualified (rule 3-4...interesting)....good on the League to Dubai guys I say!

Last edited by a moderator:

llewell71

Medal Winner
Visit site
As far as I understand I'm the only person not allowed to enter! I appreciate your comment about me playing and it would be a good scalp! That's why we do it for the competitive edge! I can't see them changing there mind maybe they should use a two time champ to accelerate entries and not dismiss it!
Got to Dubai last May in this comp and thoroughly enjoyed the overall experience (Hotel, Golf etc were top class as was getting on guest list of bar360!). The heat in May is incredible though and very tough to play golf in!

I never entered this year due to baby number 2 on the way and if I had been luck enough to qualify again I wouldn't have been able to go. I will probably will enter next year though.

I am very interested to know if all the other people who have qualified on multiple occasions have also been banned like Paul L. Ok, they may have not won, but out of the 40 golfers, I think 7 or 8 had been in the previous 2 years. For me personally, I would want Paul in it so I could have a chance to beat him, would be a good scalp for a handicap golfer!

I think these comps may be getting fed up with the 'bandits'.....a team won the league 2 Dubai regional final the other day and were subsequently disqualified (rule 3-4...interesting)....good on the League to Dubai guys I say!

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty sure I would beat you to be fair :D

While you are both off the same handicap, so maybe it's appropriate, is there really the concept of a 'scalp' in handicap golf?

Scratch golf definitely though.

Are you saying that your 5.7 handicap, compared to PL's 5.8, is less an indicator of your level? Are you saying your handicap is wrong - and too high?:mmm:

Last edited: