Golf Buddy on Macs

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recently spent a lot of time looking at different GPS devices and ruled quite a few out as they don't sync new course data on Macs. I eventually went for a Golf Buddy Tour as the website has Mac software thus indicating that it will work on a Mac.

Well, the unit arrived today and on getting home from work I eagerly unpacked it and checked it out. Works fine as far as I can tell and picks up satellites fine but I cannot get it to be recognised on my Mac. I'm on the latest version of the OS (10.7.3) and therefore on Intel CPUs as the software from GB demands. It still won't find the GPS though.

Anyone else had this problem? Any tips or advice are most welcome...

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
one of the posts said that golfbuddy stated although there is a link for maxc software the software doesnt work. dont quote me on that and it was an old ish post (2010 I think)

I will have a further dig for you

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah, I found that same post, on digging into the actual software it was last updated in 2009!!

I know it's not the GPS as I booted my Mac laptop into Windows via bootcamp and it sync fine using the Windows software.

Why put a link up to software that doesn't work!! Grrr!!

Now, do I keep it or return it and spend even more money hoping the newer devices and software actually works!!!

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hmm, that forum says it works fine in Leopard (which is version 10.5 of the OS). Since then Snow Leopard (10.6) and Lion (10.7) have been release with Mountain Lion due later this year (10.8).

ScienceBoy - it's pretty poor form to make software available that doesn't work - but you live and learn. I've managed to sync it by using Windows - I felt really unclean!! Anyway, I'll test it out on the course now and see if it makes me better. :)

The experience thus far has a little sour taste thus far though :(

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The experience thus far has a little sour taste thus far though :(

It has happened to me (and probably most others on the forum) in other contexts before, got something that was not as advertised...

You usually feel peeved but with a little effort you can get something back if the company was not completely honest with you!

Glad there seems to be a way out of this, pity you have to use windoze if your not a fan :)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
glad you got it sorted Matty, want to go mac myself but got way too much windows based stuff/games etc so can;t quite bring myself to do so yet, its getting close though :)

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You won't regret it. I moved about 10 years ago. Convinced a friend at that time too and she's only just needed to replace her iMac now. They are so much easier to use. In the first few months you'll sit looking at it wondering what to do as you'll have no drivers to mess with, no antivirus or firewall to update and you won't have to fight with it every day to do what you want to get done!

mazcologne

Visit site
Oooh - developments!

Just got an email from GolfBuddy with a new driver file attached. Looking more hopeful but I'm not counting any chickens yet.

Hi, is it possible for you to post a link to the file or sent it via email?
but there is no answer from the golfbuddy-guys in the last two weeks.