Golf after retirement.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
:fore:OK so I'm going to be retiring in a month and I'm in the lucky position to be able to do so at the age of 61.
I'm hoping to play 3 to 4 times a week (I manage about 2 at present) and was just wondering what all the retirees on here have done. Has your handicap lowered, have you got fed up playing a lot, are you playing most days or what is your experience of retirement? :fore::eek:ne:

D

Deleted member 16999

:fore:OK so I'm going to be retiring in a month and I'm in the lucky position to be able to do so at the age of 61.
I'm hoping to play 3 to 4 times a week (I manage about 2 at present) and was just wondering what all the retirees on here have done. Has your handicap lowered, have you got fed up playing a lot, are you playing most days or what is your experience of retirement? :fore::eek:ne:

I retired last July and the amount I play has varied, this coming season will see how much I've improved as we don't play qualifiers Oct-April.

Never less, weather depending, than twice a week, some weeks I've managed 4-5.

Definitely not got fed up and I'm certain my game has improved and expect to see my handicap come down at least 2-3 shots if the amount I play continues at the same level, fingers crossed ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I retired at 55 fit and healthy I had plans to get back to cat1, I was 6 then I am still 6 at 60yrs.
If you play to much I found myself not enjoying it .
Still play on the local tours and open days but you can play to much.
Have now got part time job to keep me occupied as in winter it's boring stuck in the house.
I cycle a lot and keep myself fit but miss the lads I worked with, only downside.!
Retirement is great but you must have a varied week or you can get stale.
I play 9 holes 3 times a week and practice for an hour early doors.
play comp we'd and sat.

Sounds a bit negative not meant to be, but it beats working hands down.
enjoy

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Semi retired at 55, work 2-3 days a week with golf 3-4 days a week. Play plenty of Opens and County /club matches. Seen plenty of recent retiree's handicaps fall

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I retired at 62 but have since got bored and now work a couple of days a week. I still play the main club comps but also turn out in the veterans league team and travel about and do forum meets etc. My handicap has remained around the 12 mark but i have had the odd medical issues so am reasonably happy. Its often what game offers you have to reluctantly turn down in retirement, as i could play most days of the week if i wanted.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't really start playing properly until I retired, that was 5 years ago and I am loving it, hopefully still improving too.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You should come down unless, like me, old age catches up with you. Stiff neck, sore hip, stiff knee has kept me from improving but being able to play two or three times a week & going to the range most days when I don't play has allowed me to get back to single figures & stay there for three seasons. Practise a bit & play more & you should see your handicap come down. Have a couple of lessons, I did &, although I couldn't do exactly what the pro said, I definitely got something out of them.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I retired last April and have played so much more. I play in as many formats as possible to avoid any possibility of boredom but I have never felt I did not want to play. If the weather is iffy, I still play but can avoid torrential downpours.

Being a member of a number of clubs and a society means I am not reliant on a few people for a game either.
It will be good for your game.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Retired at 52 and and five months. finally I have found summat am good at. Retirement 😁. Tues and Thursday are golf days, but I have played other days.
Dont want to golf myself out. But it helps to keep the weight off. Buggy is showing I have walked 766 miles with it. Probably the same without it looking for PP balls.:whistle:
Golf is deffo getting better and like last year one or two holes a round is stopping me from having the round of my life which would see hcap smashed.
Re retirement, make sure you have plenty of things to do on the calendar or you will get cabin fever. Get through the first winter keeping yourself busy and you will be ok.

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
The main advantage i have found since retirement is that i don't feel compelled to play in poor conditions. I feel sorry now for my younger friends who wait eagerly for the weekend only for the weather to force cancellation or having to play in abysmal conditions.
And yes, i have more time to practice and my handicap has come down.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't really start playing properly until I retired, that was 5 years ago and I am loving it, hopefully still improving too.
Same with me.
I used to play once in a blue moon now try and play 2 or 3 time a week and thats only limited as my PP (brother) isn't as keen as me.
Just got my handicap late last year though can't play anywhere near it.
Really enjoying it though leg muscles are a mess afterwards but a long hot soak in the bath sorts that out :D

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I retired early, but all my golf buddies were still working which meant I had to find a whole load of new golfing buddies. Unfortunately they were all in their mid 60s to early 70s and I was still in my mid 40s! Most of the chat now seems to be about hip and knee replacements, cataract operations and the like.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I retired early and my handicap did come down.

The main thing I found was there is lots of golf available to save getting bored.

In my first year a played in lots of opens at courses I wanted to play. Never worried too much about winning but it was a "cheap" way of playing different courses.

Joined a couple of societies to play around and about and meet other people.

Played in some senior match for the club - got used to giving lots of shots off the yellow tees!

Spent some time on my game rather than just play all the time.

In summary it was (is) great fun and you don't need to get bored.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played recently with a guy who is just 84 and playing off 4. I asked him when he played his best golf and he said "I was rubbish until i was 70"

pedro212

Visit site
Hi everyone.

My name is Peter and i am nutritionist in Leeds. I am currently looking to recruit for a study i am conducting among retired golfers. I am keen to get a feel for current diet (4 day diary) including playing days and see what gaps exist in terms of highlighting possible interventions for improving diet and fitness based on the demands of golf and improving performance. No current research exists in the golfing community and i hope to be able to change that and improve health as well as conditioning and performances. I will be able to provide a nutritional and physical activity profile for participants.

If anyone is interested in giving this a go please feel free to message me. It would be great to hear from you.

Pete

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought I had retired a year ago (53) but has turned into semi retirement working 2 days a week.

My golf is in the best shape ever, play twice in the week, once at the weekend plus ad hoc knocking around at other times.

Had a few lessons, practiced less (as used to hit the range far too often at lunchtime or after work when stressed) and played more entering almost every comp possible midweek or weekend.

Took a few months, but it all clicked and never felt better about my game and hoping 2017 will be an even better year.

Make the most of your good health and your time to do what you enjoy.

Good luck !