Going for a driver fitting, what to expect?

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So I've always had my irons fitted, but when it comes to the big bats I have always just bought after trying a few out. I currently play a TM SLDR so pretty 'old' compared to some (and some say not an easy club to use compared to other drivers???) so what kind of improvement do you think is reasonable to expect once I have been fitted etc. ?

Have no real preference on what club I get, although I have hit the Epic a few times and must admit I like the look and feel of those. I tried the M2/M3, but that felt a bit light for me.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Go with an open mind would be my advice. Try as many shaft/head combinations as you can and remember distance is not everything. The SLDR is probably still one of the longest drivers on the market but with little forgiveness.

You may find an improvement in distance if the SLDR does not suit you but I would say you will notice more in off centre hits with the newer clubs.

I would not be expecting massive leaps forward unless there is something wrong with your current driver.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The SLDR is probably still one of the longest drivers on the market but with little forgiveness.

Have heard that a few times, so hoping to see a difference in that department for sure. Must admit, then I hit the SLDR well it does go, but that is not as often as I would like, so perhaps the club and shaft may just be set up wrong for me and my swing at the moment.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As with any fitting be agnostic, don't be miffed if your desired driver is not the one that works for you, there are a load out there that are very forgiving and will suit you better. In the end it will be what works best for you and price £400 for a driver is a lot for a club that may get used less than half a dozen times on a round.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Expect to pay the full asking price and maybe more for custom shaft over rubbish they sell as standard.

hopefully your outiside so you can actually see the ball flight and distance over hitting into a net.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
My advice is save your money.
Getting a fitting is not the answer,just get a driver that's more forgiving.
As you said the SLDR goes well when you hit it so its sounds like you need more consistency.

As you know I had massive driver issues and changed loads of times.
I got fitted for a driver and spent £365 although good during the fitting my woes continued.
Now using a Ping G400 and I'm so so much better.
Its more forgiving and my weight transfer is better and that's all it was.

D

Deleted member 15344

Enjoy it - I had fun at my driver fitting - the guys I have seen always seem to prefer dispersion and forgiveness but you will know which driver you like and there are some good ones on the market right now

The M4 and G400 Max are both very good and a lot of forgiveness, the Rogue will go a bit further but not as forgiving

At the end of the day go with what you like within your budget

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I’ve just had a driver fitting with a TM rep who was at our club for the day. I hit my driver pretty well when it’s working so wasn’t expecting him to be able to improve it by much. How wrong could I be. I picked up nearly 25 yards of carry and almost halved my spin rate. My numbers with the newly fitted m4 were awesome. In the end I just couldn’t not buy it with the improvements I was seeing so had to have it. That’s pretty rare though I believe to see differences that big.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
As people have already said you will find more consistency with pretty much anything on offer over your SLDR. I had the SLDR and changed 18 months ago to the 2017 M1. I did loose distance, but the consistency was night and day. My dispersal came down by about 15 yards left to right and and the distance was more consistent too as the the SLDR did have about 20 yards of distance between the longest and shortest, where the M1 was not as long on it's longest hit, it was longer than the SLDR on the shortest hit.

From what I know with driver fitting there are certain criteria that you want to focus on with the launch monitor. Launch angle, spin rate, peak height, smash factor, ideally this is what they should approximately be to be getting the driver.

Launch: 12*
Peak height: 30 yards
Spin rate: 2000 - 2500
Smash: as close to 150 as possible

Obviously dispersal and distance comes into play too. But if you keep an eye on these stats, then you can be sure that they aren't trying to up-sell an expensive shaft you do not need. Bit like buying a car, if the salesman thinks you know what you are talking about he isn't going to be so quick to try and BS you. Nothing against the place your going to, but I am always skeptical with people I do not know.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The M series of TM drivers do feel light but they seem to swing much faster to me and, as you are aware, a centre strike with a faster swing goes further. Don't rule the TM'S out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Silvermere. I'm told they are very good. Got given the fitting as a Birthday present, so we will see.

Silvermere do fantastic fitting sessions and there isn't usually the hard sell. Go with an open mind. It's about what works best and I wouldn't worry what brand that comes out as as long as dispersion is tighter especially on the bad ones. Off your handicap, the swing sounds fairly repeatable so you should find one that ticks all the boxes for you

badger57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Silvermere do fantastic fitting sessions and there isn't usually the hard sell. Go with an open mind. It's about what works best and I wouldn't worry what brand that comes out as as long as dispersion is tighter especially on the bad ones. Off your handicap, the swing sounds fairly repeatable so you should find one that ticks all the boxes for you
Is there a particular fitter at Silvermere that you would recommend.