Go to club around the greens.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you got a 'go to' club around the greens?

My short game from just off the green is pretty poor at the moment - the shots from say within 10yds of the green. Is it better, or should I say would I be (generally) better off always using say a PW or 9, 8, 7 iron etc for these shots? I currently try with a variety of clubs from 8i to a 56 degree with similar results - perhaps as much as 50% of the time I chunk it well short or thin it through the green. Technique is clearly lacking and sure, I need to practice more, but I need to get the club thing sorted first.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Have you got a 'go to' club around the greens?

My short game from just off the green is pretty poor at the moment - the shots from say within 10yds of the green. Is it better, or should I say would I be (generally) better off always using say a PW or 9, 8, 7 iron etc for these shots? I currently try with a variety of clubs from 8i to a 56 degree with similar results - perhaps as much as 50% of the time I chunk it well short or thin it through the green. Technique is clearly lacking and sure, I need to practice more, but I need to get the club thing sorted first.

I use anything from my 64 down to my hybrid on occasions and always consider my putter as an option. You do need practice on how much each club rolls out though to help decide which to use and of course a clean consistent strike is key.

Having said that I am always a little happier when the correct club for the shot is my 54 as it is my favourite :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For me I use the same putting style stroke but with a couple of diff clubs depending on how much carry/roll I want. So it could be with my 8/9/PW

A couple hours messing about at the range/practice green should help you drill down how each club performs in terms of your swing weight and required distance

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really depends on the lie and carry etc.

More often than not I use my 56 deg wedge, our greens are so fast at the moment anything landed on the green with this will just run out nicely.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Technique is every thing.
I use 5/7 irons from fringe to get the ball down and rolling as soon as possible.I like to use a 52 Benross forged wedge for floaty shots but that is more an ego in fun games!
When the ball has rested against the next cut around the green I use a 25degree rescue,very effective but needs to be practised,I am retired so time is not a problem.Love pottering around the small area we have on a nice day.
Dewsweeper

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As with most things in golf it's down to practice.
Practice with all clubs to get a feel for run-out - sometime you want none at all, sometimes you need 20 yards..
A general aim is to use a similar set up and stroke but vary the club to pitch the ball a yard onto the putting surface and let it roll the rest. Not always but it's a good place to start.
There are many ways to play the shots - practice, take Professional advice and practice! But not necessarily in that order!

D

Deleted member 15344

All depends on lie and what's in front of me - close to the fringe and it might be a putt with an 8 iron or a hybrid

A bit of carry over fringe and it's normally a 54 wedge

If I need to get it up quickly and lie is good then a 58 wedge

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
close to edge, 8 iron, otherwise its a wedge. seriously found my irons with the speed slot ping off the face hotter and i over hit them.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From around the fringe it was my 8 irons and gripping down but have changed to my PW with my hands forward.

Any further out and I use my 52deg with an open stance and clubface after a short game lesson with Jonathan Yarwood at a GM/Titleist reader day

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've started using my hybrid more around the greens,just with a putting stroke.

Exactly the same for me, my chipping/pitching is patchy at best, but with a hybrid I have a much better chance of the ball ending up somewhere vaguely near the pin.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't usually have any "go to" club as such around the greens, because each shot is usually different. The lie, the slope, the position of the hole, any obstacles etc, will dictate what club to take and how the shot needs to be executed. 9 times out of 10 though, it's usually better to get the ball rolling on the green as soon as possible, so it therefore follows to use the club with the least amount of loft to achieve this. Controlling spin and pace is the key - it's harder to control a ball in the air than it is along the ground when you think about it, because it's difficult to predict how a ball will react when it touches the green. If it's rolling on the green, it's easier to predict it's path. A bit symptomatic of playing a lot of links golf for me perhaps, but it has paid dividends on quite a wide variety of courses for me. In short, only flop the ball up if you really need to - sometimes, the putter from off the green is the best choice.

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been using the putter from even 40 yards in occasionally if there is nothing in the way - all depends on lie and what's in front of you.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
used to use a number of different clubs around the green but have now settled on
2 my 7 iron for chip and run and my 50 deg gap wedge for all other shots have
found that this has helped my consistency.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The best piece of advice I can give you is to buy the Dave Pelz short game bible, without a doubt it is the best book that I personally have come across that covers everything you need to know around the green.

There are drills for every aspect of the short game and a lot of diagrams to show what happens when your ball lands in a certain area and how that affects the amount of roll you get.

There is too much in the book to write about on here , but using his method and drills will improve your game no end.
i think the book cost around £20 from amazon.

Hope you find some consistency .

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
when on the fringe/apron and given a choice of where I want to land the ball I use a PW

when conditions, target, hazards or other elements dictate where I have to land it I try and use the appropriate club for that shot

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Assuming no obstacles and that I can land it on the green I will always go to my 54 wedge. I totally understand the "get the ball rolling as soon as...." theory but I honestly believe it's better to use the same club as much as you can. It promotes consistency which for me is the key factor. I'll take the wedge from 20 yards or from a few feet off the green and maybe land it half way to the hole either way.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Within 10 yards of the green - nearly always a putter unless there's a bunker in the way in which case it's a sand wedge - in fact I'll putt from a lot further out than that if I think it's the right call, that's at my home course or another links.

If I'm playing a parkland course then the distance I want ball to roll dictates club I use - I like the Jim Furyk method that was posted here a while ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48PlO1NUvUs