GM East Lothian Links Tournament - March 2014 - expressions of interest??

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all.

After a very successful and highly enjoyable day out at Muirfield the other day, I've been in conversation with Birchy about organising something else for next year as a sort of 'season opener'. Birchy and Gregbwfc had a great round at North Berwick the day before Muirfield and they apparently started to plan a return visit on the drive home on Tuesday!

The loose plan is to have a four round 'PGA style' tournament and play 18 holes on a Sunday in, potentially, mid March next year on either North Berwick West Links, Longniddry or Gullane 2, then 36 holes on the Monday (Craigielaw and then Kilspindie or vice versa) and then the final round at Muirfield on the Tuesday. We reckon that the golf can be had for between £200 and £250, so it's just two nights B & B, plus food, beer and fuel for those travelling. We'll also look at pricing each course individually for those that can't afford the outlay or time off to play in the whole 'tournament'.

So, I appreciate that it's a whole year away, but in principle, is this kind of thing up your street? :D

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im definately in. I had a great time earlier in the week and am just itching to go back! Any others from the north west who do fancy this we can organise a convoy between us to keep costs down etc.

As Del says it a loooong time away yet but it will take some planning etc and gives people time to slip the money to one side without the missus noticing. Any women interested in coming wont need to worry as they are probably wearing the trousers and do what they want anyway :)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd definately be in. Sounds like a great idea.
i know it's early days, but to get everyone together for a couple of nights, where would be the most suitable area to stay... Outskirts of Edinburgh? North Berwick? Gullane?..

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i know it's early days, but to get everyone together for a couple of nights, where would be the most suitable area to stay... Outskirts of Edinburgh? North Berwick? Gullane?..

Wherever we can get the best value accommodation! Plenty B & B's, hotels, self catering cottages or caravans to choose from.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd definately be in. Sounds like a great idea.

We stayed in a premier inn with a pub at the side but its pretty much alone. There were a few little towns with b&bs and decent looking old style pubs that would be good for a drink i reckon :). I reckon a traditional pub with loads of whiskies and ales rather than a wetherspoons in town.

Ive only been once though so dont know what place is what though :).

DCB

Visit site
Think I'd be interested Del. Might not manage all of it, but certainly look to be at something. Plenty of time to save for it as well ;)

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just occurred to me that I've missed out one very important piece of information. Muirfield have an upper handicap limit of 18, although there is a degree of flexibility there in that Birchy played it ok off 19 as he phoned them and asked if they'd accept him before he booked for this year. Mind you, they'd probably heard how much of a shark he was off 19!! :lol:

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounde interesting.

But didn't you have to pay for Muirfield when you booked it Del?

Yes, and we'd do exactly the same again by way of a chunky deposit which will cover the equivalent cost of Muirfield and at least one other course (circa £150.00). Bookings not yet open for Muirfield winter green fees for 2013/2014, so just gauging interest just now so that we can be quick out of the traps.

Be good to see you Patrick. :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, and we'd do exactly the same again by way of a chunky deposit which will cover the equivalent cost of Muirfield and at least one other course (circa £150.00). Bookings not yet open for Muirfield winter green fees for 2013/2014, so just gauging interest just now so that we can be quick out of the traps.

Be good to see you Patrick. :D

You scored with the weather, i was unsure what it would have been like early march down there, or i would have come this year. Makes far more sense to play a few courses as its best part of a 4 hour drive from Sneckie.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds a wonderful idea but, alas, I don't have the stamina these days to cope with that much golf in a short space of time.

For those who don't know East Lothian, that's a clutch of very fine golf courses in a very attractive area.

Do you need a referee? :)

Last edited: