Global IT Outage

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not particularly surprised that Crowdstrike deployed an update without adequate testing - the industry seems to have been taking that kind of cavalier approach for decades now.

What does floor me, though, is that so many critical systems are running on Windows. God help us all.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I'm not particularly surprised that Crowdstrike deployed an update without adequate testing - the industry seems to have been taking that kind of cavalier approach for decades now.

What does floor me, though, is that so many critical systems are running on Windows. God help us all.
Won't affect the German army, they still use 8" floppies.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not Windows (whatever version) that's the real issue. It's lack of proper Firewalls.

Though this seemingly is a different issue.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
It's not Windows (whatever version) that's the real issue. It's lack of proper Firewalls.

Though this seemingly is a different issue.
No checking, no testing, no responsibilty for that taken by owners of a business. It's "tech", I don't understand it.

I thought that by the time my generation ruled the world, this abrogation of responsilbilty would have ended. But I'm retired now and it hasn't.

RichA

Visit site
Mental that one tiny FU by a techie in Texas can do more damage to the western world's infrastructure than a platoon of hackers in Moscow.
You're better off investing in Bic ballpoints and Pukka notepads than blue chip companies at the moment.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mental that one tiny FU by a techie in Texas can do more damage to the western world's infrastructure than a platoon of hackers in Moscow.
You're better off investing in Bic ballpoints and Pukka notepads than blue chip companies at the moment.
Well if they didn't know how before, they do now.....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wonder who from Crowdstrike will get 5yrs in the nick for causing very significant disruption and associated cost for business, plus risk to lives…hmmm…let me try and guess…

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the weird (possible) aspects of this for me was that I have a VOIP phone. I had asked somebody to phone me and they messaged via FB the phone was not working in the morning.
In the afternoon I phoned them on my mobile. About 8pm I suddenly had a missed call notification call on my phone which was the call they had tried to make in the morning.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the weird (possible) aspects of this for me was that I have a VOIP phone. I had asked somebody to phone me and they messaged via FB the phone was not working in the morning.
In the afternoon I phoned them on my mobile. About 8pm I suddenly had a missed call notification call on my phone which was the call they had tried to make in the morning.
I suspect the issue was related to the infrastructure the VOIP solution was running on, luckily we don’t use CrowdStrike so weren’t affected, but I’ve read that the solution was to boot each device into safe mode and delete a file - that’s potentially 000000’s of machine’s to update!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
S*it happens in IT.. it was a very interesting day.. all our systems were slow/down. So cancelled all Teams calls and slow on emails. Productivity zoomed . Also as it was a lovely day, people took half a day off. It was win-win

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I suspect the issue was related to the infrastructure the VOIP solution was running on, luckily we don’t use CrowdStrike so weren’t affected, but I’ve read that the solution was to boot each device into safe mode and delete a file - that’s potentially 000000’s of machine’s to update!
They’ve said 8.5m devices 🤯