girls doing the talking

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all
Just noticed a reference in the new mag to 'dream commentary team' of Peter Allis, Ken Brown and Hazel Irvine.
Nothing against Hazel, but she's just the front woman, isn't she? What about dear old Maureen Modill (sp?) sadly missing this weekend because of death in family.
Has anyone else missed her dulcet Irish tones, or do you have other fave commentators?

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I quite like Maureen. SHe seems to have a knack of getting close to the action (more so than some of the men). Not sure Hazel can qualify for any golfing dream team. Di Stewart and Sarah Stirk are both better looking and more informed about golf and the BBC could do a lot worse than try and get their services (in fact anybody except Lineker)

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i have to look away everytime sarah stirk comes on screen now after i made a comment about her chest and that she can play better golf than my gfbad move on my side

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Di Stewart and Sarah Stirk are both better looking
I'm shocked Homer. :eek: In these days of PC you should know that a lady's appearance has nothing to do with her commentary skills. Can you imagine if we males had to meet aesthetic requirements before droning on the telly about sports? Only Lineker would keep his job!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its fortunate that both these ladies are not only pleasing visually but are keen golfers in their own rights and have more than enough personality and presenting skills to more than match their looks. I'm pretty sure both have some form of media degrees

They actually appear to know what they are talking about and seem quite keen on the action they are showing whereas Mr Crisp Muncher just seems to be there to self-promote and try and come over as a witty ranconteur. He is nothing other than a glorified autocue reader and should watch two pretty but articulate females and see how it is done.

PS
Does this get me out of the doghouse? :eek:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We got our coverage of Wentworth via The European Tour productions team, with Julian Tutt , Renton Laidlaw and Warren Humphries. Very good in their own quirky way but like others missed the Beebs commentary team and especially Maureen Madill as she's a very good friend of mine.
I'm sure we all join together and send our condolences at this sad time for her and her family.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Hazel Irvine is quite a handy golfer. I believe she represented St.Andrews Uni when she was a student. Don't know what she plays off now though.

P.s. I, too mentioned something about Sarah's bosom to my wife and now I'll never hear the end of it. :eek:

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The problem the BBC has is the amount of Golf they actually show each season....which is , what , 3 or 4 tournaments a year at most ?
Alliss will always rule the roost in my ears ;)

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All 4 ladies mentioned in this thread do a terrific job IMHO.

I think Hazel did an excellent job at the Masters,remember her flirt with Mickelson. She was funny and informed also she can do it in front of the camera too.

Not sure about Di S,informed but not quite up to speed for me no direct criticism just a feeling. I have to say that you would forgive her a lot for the looks though.

Sarah S looks a bit stilted on Setanta but that will probably even out with time. I actually think she dresses down too much,she always seems to be wearing the same grey top. Not advocating something slashed to the waist but I think that Di S gets it right on Sky,she always looks smart without going overboard.

Maureen is the Queen for me,nothing she doesnt know,able to communicate atmosphere as well as fact,why is she not on the main team.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hazel irvine's fine with me
Maureen M's only ever been a voice, which seemed well suited to golf commentary
Sarah S I've only ever seen do the studio never commentary
Never seen Di S.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I met Hazel at the Open last year and she was fantastic both in front and away from the camera, quite happy to chat away to us lowly marshalls, unlike a certain jug eared "nice" guy who shall remain nameless.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have to say I do like Hazel - she has good credibility (and looks) wherever the Beeb put her.
St. Andrews graduate? that explains it! ;)

AliB

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
has everyone on here got a disliking of the jug eared one

Not me. He scored a diving header right in front of the away end at Spurs for Everton in the FA Cup in the 80's. I was right behind the goal on cloud 9, and my GF (ex now!) whose first game it was said "Can we go home now?".

But I've never forgotten it!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hazel is a wee bit like Dougie Donnelly in the fact that they are sports journalists who have turned there hand to any sport they were asked to cover. Wing nut on the other hand is just a sickly good former footy player who was given a chuffin' halo because he was never booked. The guy has the same charisma as a park bench.