Gifted two old wedges - advice please....

Jaarus

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,
My grandfather recently passed away and whilst I was up north for the funeral and wake, I was gifted a few things.

Some obviously great stuff - some practically new Footjoys (which fit unlike mine!) and 19 dozen brand new, still packaged golf balls - mainly Titleist. He used to win a lot of competitions apparently and hated 'modern balls' and used to just give them away - these were all in the back of a cupboard.
I am not complaining!!

His clubs though unfortunately were not very good - mostly Dunlop etc (obviously they worked for him!)

But I was given two sandwedges as mine is cheap and grooves are gone. Now neither I am expecting to be old, rare or have any value whatsoever but does anyone know anything about with of them?

1) Bronty Sand Wizard - it has a small head and the most savage grooves I have ever felt.

2) Wilson Patty Berg Cup Defender Sand Wedge - As far as I know this is a ladies club...but it feels nice to swing.

Anyone played with either?
Is playing with a ladies club a horrific no-no?

Going to try both out when I can FINALLY get out to play (life gets in the way with younguns!) but keen to hear peoples thoughts.

T

thecraw

Bronty used to be sold through Makro up here in Scotland. A cheap as chips model however if it serves a purpose they will always bail you out.

The Wilson Patty Berg is a ladies club so possibly your grans not your grandfather.

Jaarus

Hacker
Visit site
RE Patty Berg - thats what I thought, feels nice though :)
I have seen women at the club using 'mens' clubs but not seen Men using 'ladies' lol

The Sand Wizard is small and heavy, and as I say the grooves are unlike anything I have felt before.
Figured it would be cheap - as I say the other clubs there were (about 7 or 8 sets of em!) - but it sure spins the airballs in the back garden. They actually curve in the air!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
His clubs though unfortunately were not very good - mostly Dunlop etc (obviously they worked for him!)

If these are the same vintage as the Patty Berg they could well have been very good clubs. At that time Dunlop were a major brand and their "Australian Blade" has almost lengendary status.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you have had the key info -

1. with wedges it's what works for you
2. once upon a time Dunlop were producing top range golf clubs (I had a set of Bob Charles blades that were stunning)