Germany's goal, who was to blame?

Visit site
As a West Brom fan I'm really pissed off to see all of the London biased press blaming Scott Carson for the Germany goal yesterday.

In my view they were both to blame, however the media and the press see it differently. Who do you blame?:-

1. Scott Carson
2. John Terry
3. Both

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I blame John Terry, purely from a point of view that I believe he is one of the biggest low-lifes ever to wear an england shirt.

I had 12 round here last night, fans of a range of clubs, and when he scored it was very flat, basically it was a case of "why did it have to be that (insert expletive) that scored"

As for carson, he is a liability in my eyes, no disrespect to west-brom but a top-keeper, in the england fold, shouldnt be playing his football there. Still, atleast he isnt as bad a Gomes!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It’s difficult to say.

One of them should make the call and it really must be the keeper as he is the one facing any danger as the defender has his back to the forward. As a defender I used to hate a keeper coming out for a ball like that and you are left trying to shield the ball back. I much preferred a keeper to stay back and give me room to deal with the situation (ie hoof it over the stand). So I would probably say the keeper would have made the call and therefore is to blame

If Terry has made a call for the keeper to come Carson should have still have taken charge of the situation and be screaming at Terry to hoof it away as he can say the danger. As Carson has come out, they would both have to share the blame as terry has made the wrong call and Carson has still come out when he should not have and been to weak to take control of the situation.

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Given Terry was trying to protect the ball back to the goalkeeper from about 35 yards out, it is his fault - he should have dealt with it 5 seconds before the ball got near the area.

And why did he stand still in a surfing pose 3 yards from Carson allowing the forward to get in between the two of them?

Once it got that far though, Carson should have come and cleaned everything out - ball and both players. Showed a lack of confidence (and maybe courage) by waiting for it.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
TERRY! easy.

Being realistic now, with out knowing what was said between them it would be hard to say.

A defender should never call his keeper out. Only a keeper can make that decision. Otherwise, the defender deals with it, end of. If the defender has to put it in to touch do so, and then ask the keeper why he didn't come. A good keeper will always come when he can and will let you know in no uncertain terms too.

Carson could of done better, He Could of come out better or failing that, stuck a knee down to stop the megs.

I played in goal on Tranmere's books as a keeper when I was younger and Centre back for last 10 years for a great club so I know both roles inside out.

That is my opinion on the subject based on how I have been brought up by my club.

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Terry should have put it in to the stand after the first bounce...and Carson should have told him to deal with it.

That said Carson went down like he was going to stroke a cat when he should have cleaned out Terry and the striker.

terryb

Medal Winner
Visit site
It was Terry's responsibility as there was always a doubt that the ball would reach Carson inside the box. Row Z was the place for the ball

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As an ex keeper i should stick with the keepers union and say Terry but I have to say if that had happened when I was playing (OK it did on more than one occasion) I would take the blame. In my opinion Carson is the one that is looking at the way the ball is rolling etc and the one coming forward. If there was any doub he should have charged the ball and kicked it clear taking Terry and the German out in the aftermath if necessary.

That said I think at club level he is a good keeper and he could be be international level. Being thrown into the Croatia game was just suicidal and it was unfortunate that last night was against one of our biggest rivals. Get him playing in a less pressured friendly or two and let him build his confidence back up and he'll be fine

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Terry should have cleared it but how can an "International" goalkeeper let a ball rolling at a snails pace go through his legs? I still can't understand how he's picked. Rob Green & Chris Kirkland are both better keepers.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
As neutral I'd say both were to blame, but........

As a Hammer I'd put the blame on Carson, I can't belive Rob Green keeps getting overlooked for Hart, Carson, and Robinson

Come on Greeny........Englands #5

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was Terry's responsibility as there was always a doubt that the ball would reach Carson inside the box. Row Z was the place for the ball
In a nutshell! Terry should have cleared it long before it reached the area. His final stance was an act of desperation as he KNEW that he was in trouble by that time but STILL had time to hoof it out. If Carson had been more positive, come out faster and collected, it is likely that he would have slid out the area and got sent off

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Terry should of cleared it simple as, the time he spent fannying around shielding it he could of cleared it twice... I think scott carson was in shock that he was left to deal with it still thats why he looked silly!
ps. MWj why do you not like terry!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Why do I not like Terry?

1) He was caught not once but twice pissing in the corner of a nightclub
2) He is a snide git, always giving people the rough-stuff then cries to the ref
3) He parks his bentley is disabled spaces then tells any remonstrators to f-off
4) The airport incident

I could go on.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to agree with disliking Terry, I think he has outlived his usefulness but unfortunately people in the game dont, I think he could easily be replaced.

As for the goal I think there were 3 areas of error, initially if Terry had responded earlier and correctly the other two areas would not have needed comment but it does involve the goalie and carson but only from an objective point as I couldnt hear what they said to each other.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both were to blame, Terry should have cleared it instinctively but Carson should have been screaming at him to do so when he began shielding it. It was quite simply a communication breakdown that Terry should have eliminated by getting rid of the ball 'if in doubt (which they obviously both were by their looks) kick it out' there is no place for hesitation in any standard of football, let alone internationals. I agree that Kirkland and Green are better keepers though, as is Robinson.

GolfOffshore

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree...both were to blame!! Terry looked as though he was going to chest it but backed out right at the last minute. There should have been more talking between the goal keeper and the defender...but then Carson should have taken more control and then shouted for it earlier, plus never leave your legs open as wide as he had em!!!