Georgie boy is after your pension money!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which would drive prices up, make our exports more expensive and bring in less money from exports as foreign buyers buy elsewhere.

Whether it's granted or not I'd question the fairness in changing something mid stream. If someone had said 25 years ago we're going to do 'x' for all new pension savers it would have given those new savers the opportunity to plan better than if it's landed on them with virtually no notice and no time to save extra.

Putting money in the hands of average workers is a well known way to drive the economy. Isn't that what the Tories say they are doing?

Ordinary people spend their money on goods and services, the recipients do likewise and so on. This is recirculating money and money put in ordinary people's hands has a high multiplication factor. This is the same idea as quantitative easing except it isn't given to the bank to skim lots off the tip before lending some reluctantly.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It would be like Greece, an enormous debt and they didn't let them default and go bust. Everyone borrows off everyone else and the world economy would go completely pop if we, or one of the bigger countries defaulted due to the domino effect

If I've done my sums properly, the National Debt works out at about £26k for each UK citizen. I suppose that the Government could have a whip round if the worst comes to the worse! :mmm:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If I've done my sums properly, the National Debt works out at about £26k for each UK citizen. I suppose that the Government could have a whip round if the worst comes to the worse! :mmm:

If the Government had given every person in the country an equal share of the quantitative easing money, and told them they had to spend it within a year, how much would still be swishing around in the economy instead of banks balance sheets?

D

Deleted member 18588

Mickie

So you worked in the pensions business for years. Good for you. Doesn't make you an expert in fiscal policy, though, and your opinion on how pensions should be funded is as valid as anyone else, but no more so.

Well, you are expert in cherry picking a few points to argue and ignoring most.

And you Sir are a pompous oaf who continually attempt to belittle and patronise those that have the temerity not to share your narrow, left of centre, centralist control views.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
And you Sir are a pompous oaf who continually attempt to belittle and patronise those that have the temerity not to share your narrow, left of centre, centralist control views.

Like I said, avoiding the questions. I rest my case (modestly).

Oh and I am arguing against taking away tax relief for higher earners. I don't think Jeremy Corbyn agrees with me on that ;-)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Like I said, avoiding the questions. I rest my case (modestly).

Oh and I am arguing against taking away tax relief for higher earners. I don't think Jeremy Corbyn agrees with me on that ;-)

I cannot answer a question when one is not asked. Your statements were precisely that, statements and did not demand nor warrant an answer.

However, you did accuse me of claiming a level of expertise which I had not and I also clearly stated my view on the question of tax relief which was, after all, the OP's point; not fiscal policy.

As for your last paragraph I presume that you are, therefore, arguing for personal interest rather than the greater good.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I cannot answer a question when one is not asked. Your statements were precisely that, statements and did not demand nor warrant an answer.

However, you did accuse me of claiming a level of expertise which I had not and I also clearly stated my view on the question of tax relief which was, after all, the OP's point; not fiscal policy.

As for your last paragraph I presume that you are, therefore, arguing for personal interest rather than the greater good.

OK, is that an admission you were wrong about left wing views, or just throwing the toys out?

As for the statements which were not questions, please use these as you see fit, and I await your answers: ?????????????????????

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the crux of all of this is you need to look out for yourself. Pensions are tricky, you wont all be happy... However you all have the opportunity to manage your money in different ways. You could blow your income every month, you could save in an isa or play the stocks, you could buy a second property ... You could just inherit from a rich relative...
I spread my choices, hopefully something positive will come of it. I hope my son will be able to have the privileged life I have had. I hope my wife is supported after my passing. I hope we can have a good retirement together and not be in the position my parents are in.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have just been informed that I can increase my State Pension by up to £25 a week (£1300 per annum) by paying a lump sum of just over £20k. Problem is that I would have to live for another 15.3 years to make this worthwhile, and the money has gone to the Treasury for good. My spare cash is in a savings account paying 2%, so I could draw out the same £1300 a year from it for 15 years and still earn interest on what is left, so I don't think I will be taking this offer up. :(

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

..and before anyone says it - all politicians are not like this - there is only ONE CotE - and it is Osborne.

The Tories can bleat on all they want (as they are doing) about Labour not doing much at all about tax avoidance and tax havens when they were in power - but Labour were not embarked on a crusade to knacker the poorest of our society and our public services (and behind the scenes also starting to have a go at the savers) in the name of austerity and 'balancing the books'. Osborne, Cameron, IDS and Hunt et al are.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Putting money in the hands of average workers is a well known way to drive the economy. Isn't that what the Tories say they are doing?

Ordinary people spend their money on goods and services, the recipients do likewise and so on. This is recirculating money and money put in ordinary people's hands has a high multiplication factor. This is the same idea as quantitative easing except it isn't given to the bank to skim lots off the tip before lending some reluctantly.

That would be nice, but isn't the problem that people would spend the money on German or Japanese cars, and everything else that is now made in China. Since we no longer have much of a manufacturing industry, the effect on our balance of trade would be pretty serious! I do accept the Keynesian argument that workers are also consumers, but this probably no longer really applies in a Globalised world! :mmm:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
..and before anyone says it - all politicians are not like this - there is only ONE CotE - and it is Osborne.

The Tories can bleat on all they want (as they are doing) about Labour not doing much at all about tax avoidance and tax havens when they were in power - but Labour were not embarked on a crusade to knacker the poorest of our society and our public services (and behind the scenes also starting to have a go at the savers) in the name of austerity and 'balancing the books'. Osborne, Cameron, IDS and Hunt et al are.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in politics everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Personally, I have pretty much the same disparaging view of many Labour politicians, especially those that created a society where so many feel they they are entitled to everything for nothing.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in politics everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Personally, I have pretty much the same disparaging view of many Labour politicians, especially those that created a society where so many feel they they are entitled to everything for nothing.

I think that one thing that Gordon Brown tried to do was to make us all dependent on the State. Thus many tax allowances were turned into benefits, such as Income Support and Child Tax Credits. His party also tacitly allowed mass immigration into this country in the hope that they would be grateful and support the Labour Party for ever more. Unfortunately for him and his Party, probably because of the effects of the banking crisis, and Mrs Duffy and Bigotgate, his cunning plan didn't work and they were deservedly thrown out of office. We then had five years of coalition government, which unfortunately caused a lot of damage to the Liberal Party. After Gordon Brown resigned as Leader of the Opposition, he was replaced by that useless idiot Ed Miliband, and so we now have a majority Tory Government, red in tooth and claw, with no serious opposition! So what do we do? :mmm:

Last edited: