General Play reductions

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a strange season, I have own the 3 big prize events of the ladies competitions and on sunday my partner and I won our closing mixed, despite this my handicap has gone up. The singles comps I won were with scores greater than SSS but there have been a lot of comments about why I am not getting general play reductions.
I have said that I am not besting my handicap but they say well you should be cut for winning, I would say that the majority of these comments are from men.
I would love s cut when oi deserve one but I dont think my play merits a cut, any thoughts?

Of course come November it would be irrelevant anyway

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well done on winning the comps!

How many runners are there usually in these comps and what scores are winning. Is CSS going up compared to SSS?

Expect its just jealousy from men who cant win any of their comps and should be ignored

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a strange season, I have own the 3 big prize events of the ladies competitions and on sunday my partner and I won our closing mixed, despite this my handicap has gone up. The singles comps I won were with scores greater than SSS but there have been a lot of comments about why I am not getting general play reductions.
I have said that I am not besting my handicap but they say well you should be cut for winning, I would say that the majority of these comments are from men.
I would love s cut when oi deserve one but I dont think my play merits a cut, any thoughts?

Of course come November it would be irrelevant anyway

I can't believe that, after all the handicap education over the years, there are still people who believe you should be chopped for winning something.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the manual

It is a fundamental tenet of the UHS that handicap adjustments can only be applied in Qualifying
Competitions when handicaps are adjusted, upwards and downwards as appropriate, in relation
to the CSS.

I cannot find it at the moment but there is a specific "No No" in the manual to clubs for cutting a players handicap just because they win a trophy.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Congratulations on a successful competitive season.

Whether ignorance or jealousy there is no case for any general play reduction without a consistent history of scores BELOW handicap.

Just smile and walk away.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cannot find it at the moment but there is a specific "No No" in the manual to clubs for cutting a players handicap just because they win a trophy.
Appendix M
When carrying out the Annual Review and in giving consideration to possible handicap adjustments
arising from the computer generated listing, the Handicap Committee must:
• not use General Play Adjustments as a ‘punishment’ (or ‘reward’) for success in either match or
stroke play competitions (unless other evidence exists to support an adjustment);

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Appendix M
When carrying out the Annual Review and in giving consideration to possible handicap adjustments
arising from the computer generated listing, the Handicap Committee must:
• not use General Play Adjustments as a ‘punishment’ (or ‘reward’) for success in either match or
stroke play competitions (unless other evidence exists to support an adjustment);

Speaking of Annual Reviews, I assume we won't be doing one this year 20/21 or will any clubs who normally do them on 1st October, or shortly after, still be doing them?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speaking of Annual Reviews, I assume we won't be doing one this year 20/21 or will any clubs who normally do them on 1st October, or shortly after, still be doing them?

I see no need to do one before the WHS kicks in as effectively the WHS will take care of it.

We normally do ours in February.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just glancing at our club website now and again, it seems that most of our ladies comps are won with scores above handicap.
So, whilst obviously congratulating you for being the best player on the days ?, there's a big difference between always winning because you're a bandit and always winning because the others didn't have their best days.
I agree, there wouldn't seem to be any logic in a general play cut, seems more like sour grapes.

Sounds like there is a problem with your SSS/CSS. I can't remember the last men's comp at my place (apart from Club Champs where the greenskeeper was in an evil mood) that I have ever taken part in which was won by a higher than SSS score.