Ge 2017

U

User62651

Alas few seem to be looking beyond the Brexit issue at this general election, all other normal general election issues seems to be playing a poor second fiddle to it. Up here it's more Independence ref 2 voting that's still the over-riding issue as we can do nothing about Brexit as part of UK.
People will be voting for parties alien to them normally just to try and swing these 2 issues.

We need to get past these 2 very divisive issues ASAP for any kind of progress.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good to see the Tories want to bring back foxhunting.
Should never have been banned in the first place.

Probably the least efficient way of killing vermin but still worthwhile and quite an economic boost to rural life.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Blimey, that'll set the cat amongst the pigeons.... or hounds amongst , eh... the um foxes...

I know our MP was taking about this during the coalition.... no chance with the Libdums around.

We have a Hunt in our village, lots of job depended on it. Funny thing fox-hunting. Not something I'd do myself and I've never had the need to chase wild animals while wearing funny clothes!! And not the most efficient way of killing foxes. Also, I've seen many hen houses after fox has visited!

I am also sure many anti hunt folk think "class war" before "animal rights!"

Ho hum....not a priority for the Govt Mrs May surely.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thought there had already been a vote on foxhunting? Will of the people, you lost get over it, etc. etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought there had already been a vote on foxhunting? Will of the people, you lost get over it, etc. etc.

This. Appalling past time. I hope this doesn't get past the thinking about it stage. There are better ways of creating jobs than the pursuit of mutilating animals.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Keep Fishing, no one is biting though :whistle:

WRONG

In the recent local council elections - three seats were contested in my town. All were previously held by conservatives. They lost two of them and held on to the third by 60 votes. The constituency of South West Surrey is primarily made up of the Borough of Waverley...in the EU Referendum the result was...

The turnout was 82.3%.

The total number of ballot papers counted was 75,999
The total number of votes cast in favour of REMAIN was 44,241
The total number of votes cast in favour of LEAVE was 31,601
The total number of ballot papers rejected was 57

Whilst Hunt had a huge majority last election - that was in the wake of LibDems in coalition with the Tories and given the LibDem Student Loans farrago. But back in 2001 the GE result had the Tories winning the seat by a majority of 861 (turnout 70%/50,000 votes cast); then in 2005 Tories winning the seat by a majority of 5711 (turnout 72%/52,500 votes cast).

Jeremy Hunt may currently have a large majority - but there is a huge latent non-Tory vote. And what with Brexit and the state of the NHS our dear Jeremy has a bit of work to do.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Foxes like badgers are becoming a pest, not only in country where they do a considerable amount of damage but in urban areas. Hunting might not be the answer but something needs to be done.

That something need not be hunting.

But this isn't about hunting - it's about relative importance of policies in the context of a GE. Hunting? Ah yes - that's one of the most important things for parliament to be debating when it won't get much opportunity to review Brexit progress, and the Civil Service are swamped by preparing for a currently undefined Brexit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hunting is hugely inefficient. If you want control the fox population hunts are not the answer. Hunting is a social activity, it has nothing to do with vermin control.

U

User62651

Not the same - fish are either kept to eat or are put back alive with a smallish injury from hook but you do have a point - hunting is hunting, some is acceptable some isn't - not a black and white issue. Hunting does include fishing, numerous ways to hunt but ultimately we all dont partake because of agriculture i.e. we dont need to hunt for food because we've evolved to be clever enough as a species to not need to anymore. Not sure that means we should criticise those that still want to and have a strong instinct or desire to. Has to be sustainable of course, many of UKs former native beasts were shot to extinction - lynx, boar, wolf, bear etc etc. Not good.
I find fox hunting with hounds a bit cruel and unsavoury but freedom of choice in life is important too. I'm a bit on the fence with blood sports tbh as I like fishing and I have shot rabbits as vermin control but dont anymore.