Gas and electric fixed rates

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I need help with my household bills, any money savvy finance folks on here?.

My gas and electric are with 2 different companies and everyone telling me I should switch to dual fuel, so I've been looking about to see what's what and now in mega confused, lol. Should I go for a fixed rate or variable??
I've seen a deal with npower that looks ok, it's fixed until December 2017, is this to long?? Are fuel prices likely to keep rising?? It says it has no cancelation fees.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just done mine again with British gas , got £50 and fixed it till 2015 may I think , as I pay both by DD I get a further discount , not bothered to switch as they all the same , too expensive by far but we need both so there is no real choice ...........................EYG

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good mate of mine is very high up in British Gas, his advice is to me after the latest round of price hikes is to go for the longest fixed rate tariff they do, even if it is a few pence more at the present time. The future prices are only going one way:(

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Just done mine again with British gas , got £50 and fixed it till 2015 may I think , as I pay both by DD I get a further discount , not bothered to switch as they all the same , too expensive by far but we need both so there is no real choice ...........................EYG

They're not all the same.............the smaller ones like First Utility are much better than most of the big one's. I got a duel fuel deal that goes to mid 2015 and it's only £75 a year more than the deal I had running from 2010. That was before all the price jumps. The great thing about the small one's, you get time to sort things out because the big 6 put their prices up much earlier than the small ones. Then the small ones come out with better deals.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've just switched to OVO on dual fuel, I worked everything out with their rates against my last 2 quarters and along with going dual fuel and direct debit, I'll be saving around £275 a year against my previous SSE bills which were just increased.

Its a 2yr deal but I can opt out with a single £50 charge if I want to.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They're not all the same.............the smaller ones like First Utility are much better than most of the big one's. I got a duel fuel deal that goes to mid 2015 and it's only £75 a year more than the deal I had running from 2010. That was before all the price jumps. The great thing about the small one's, you get time to sort things out because the big 6 put their prices up much earlier than the small ones. Then the small ones come out with better deals.

The small ones do that to get the business and at a later date they hit you , be honest now have you read ALL the small print and do you understand what it is that you have signed up for as most of us don't as there is too much of it to read and they are all the same long run , cheap don't mean better service , all those phone companies that cold call you with better deals then BT , where do they hire the line from , BT , there you have it , its all a conned trick just like the mortgage thing , years ago you just had a mortgage , now there are lots of deals with rates and up front fees , some not , you go in and get a deal you are happy with , don't forget someone is paid to come up with these deals and done the sums before you even seen them and they all make money for the lender , you are the guy paying for it one way or other , its just a marketing trick to drum up business , just like super markets deals , buy one for £1 or 2 For £1.99 , someone in a hurry buys two when they only need one and throws the other away , they all at it ..............EYG

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've gone with edf this year, and made sure the contract was open for me to move again before the end of the fixed rate term.