Garmin S3 GPS Watch - My New Toy

BlueFraggle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got lucky at the races last week and managed to win £200 on the Tote so decided to invest this in the Garmin S3 GPS Watch. Paid £205 for one from Direct Golf on the Wirral with a little bit of The Apprentice style haggling :)

Don't think I would have bought one without the win as it is a tad pricey.

However, so glad I did as I wore it for the first time on Saturday and was extremely impressed. Felt a bit strange at first as I don't wear a watch, especially when playing golf. Soon got used to the feel of it though.

It does exactly what it says on the tin. Distances to front, middle and back of all greens as well as to layup points on certain holes. Can also manually add up to 5 additional points per hole

Measured my drives (the ones I managed to keep on the fairway !) and kept track of my score.

The watch told me our 3 ball took 3 hrs 3 mins to complete our round and I walked 4.7 miles in that time.

The touchscreen on it works a treat, even when it poured down for a few holes.

My only minor criticism of it is the Stableford scoring as there is no way of entering in your handicap for it to automatically calculate your points. You have to manually adjust the score for each hole. Only a small gripe but something I think Garmin have missed.

Overall an excellent product and if any of you guys are in the market for a GPS then the S3 comes highly recommended.

Just need to purchase an electric trolley now and all my golfing equipment will be complete .... then I just need to play better !!! ..... what is the saying? ..... "all the gear and no idea !!" :)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have the S1 after having a skycaddie- does exactly what I want (F/M/B and best drive yardage).

I strap it onto the brolly holder on the trolly rather than wear it as it looks like your in a hurry to be elsewhere as you keep looking at your watch:smirk:

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I bought the S2 a week ago and used it twice this weekend.
Same review as both of the above - good device, does what it says it will and was accurate.
I wore it on the course but spent 3 days at the range getting used to wearing it as it did feel a little foreign.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
as an aside I played with someone who had skycaddie and the yardage differences were pretty big on some holes i.e up to 10 yds difference on f/m/b, some were only 1 yd out which I'm fine with. I'm assuming Skycaddie is the more accurate as they walk the course