Gap Test: Range Balls vs ‘Normal’ Golf Balls

DrGolfer

Visit site
I’m trying to get a sense of my yardage between irons/hybrids and I’ve found that what I’m tracking on a Toptracer range is noticeably less than on the course (causing me to overhit).

Now using Shotscope watch/sensors off eBay to try and figure out things too. My question is whether there’s a % yardage I should add on to any stats I get from the range to help me make better decisions on the course?
For example on the range I hit a 5H with a full swing about 150-160 yards on average but on the course it’s 170-185 yards.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Rangeballs are often 10-20% shorter than real life.

Best thing to do is to find a range or practice ground where you can hit your own balls
Hit 15, discount the best and worst 4
The mid point of your remaining 7 gives you your average , measure that ( laser back to your bag is good, if you have a laser)
Repeat for each club

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The range balls at my course are 20% shorter than a normal ball
They bought them to stop you clearing the fence with a 4 iron! ?
To the OP, try and find a simulator somewhere, hit your own ball and get a true benchmark. Then add or subtract yards for wind and slope when on the course.
Toptracer is not accurate enough for your purpose.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that the tracking system on a range should be set up to allow for the type of ball and any gradient.