Ganton vs. Moortown ?

The Dog.

Visit site
Two weeks ago I played these two on consecutive days with 11 other mates. Almost to a man, we changed our minds over which we liked better and switched to favouring Moortown. The changes they have made there are excellent and it is just like a northern Parkstone now! Fantastic course and for me, probably the best in the county at present.
Still love Ganton of course but they have removed a bit too much gorse in my view and adversely affected the sense of splendid isolation that you used to get on each hole.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two weeks ago I played these two on consecutive days with 11 other mates. Almost to a man, we changed our minds over which we liked better and switched to favouring Moortown. The changes they have made there are excellent and it is just like a northern Parkstone now! Fantastic course and for me, probably the best in the county at present.
Still love Ganton of course but they have removed a bit too much gorse in my view and adversely affected the sense of splendid isolation that you used to get on each hole.

Just a little confused. Your thread title is Ganton v Alwoodley. You then bring in Moortown as the winner in that contest. Any explanation? (by the way, I love all 3, but Alwoodley does it for me).

The Dog.

Visit site
Just a little confused. Your thread title is Ganton v Alwoodley. You then bring in Moortown as the winner in that contest. Any explanation? (by the way, I love all 3, but Alwoodley does it for me).

Well spotted Wilson! ? Edited and corrected. Thanks.

I think they both beat Alwoodley but it was really slow last time I played there and that took the shine off the day. Not played Sand Moor but hear good things.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well spotted Wilson! ? Edited and corrected. Thanks.

I think they both beat Alwoodley but it was really slow last time I played there and that took the shine off the day. Not played Sand Moor but hear good things.
Headingley is waaay better than Sandmoor IMO, though little visited. Moor Allerton is probs the best test of golf for your average Club golfer...... immense variety of holes.. Moortown & Alwoodley are Classically good though at Alwoodley the heather interferes with play more than it should on a golf course

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moortown's 11-14 are still a bit sameish

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Headingley is waaay better than Sandmoor IMO, though little visited. Moor Allerton is probs the best test of golf for your average Club golfer...... immense variety of holes.. Moortown & Alwoodley are Classically good though at Alwoodley the heather interferes with play more than it should on a golf course

I loved Alwoodley but agree on heather, a bad day particularly off the tee can spoil what is a very good course not to mention the cost of lost balls.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I loved Alwoodley but agree on heather, a bad day particularly off the tee can spoil what is a very good course not to mention the cost of lost balls.
I did the Moortown / Alwoodley special a few years ago. Had a great time and I could massively appreciate both courses. Don't know that I could be a member of either though for the reason you mention. Have an off day and there is no wriggle room. Fabulous places to play if your game is on though.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
was talking to a pro the other day, he was just back from taking a group from his club to Ganton. Said the course was great, but the level of customer service was remarkably bad, bordering on unfriendly.

The Dog.

Visit site
was talking to a pro the other day, he was just back from taking a group from his club to Ganton. Said the course was great, but the level of customer service was remarkably bad, bordering on unfriendly.

I have never found that although they are a little snooty.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I love Sand Moor but played Headingley just before lockdown and thought it was fantastic. They were re doing one of the holes but I've seen pictures of it now it's completed and it really is something.

Haven't played Moortown but really enjoyed Alwoodley we played a forum meet. Expensive and probably too good a course for me but really appreciated it.

petema99

Visit site

That's a shame - we were there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the assistant pro/bar staff were pretty friendly. One of the members in the clubhouse even offered to get us a drink when we sat down which was obviously nice of them

Great course - haven't played Moortown so can't compare but hope to soon!

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

We had that at West Lancs and it was a huge put off however it wasn't like that second time around

Visit site
Played them all a few times, and I think that Moortown has it over Alwoodley, although, like Rulefan, I would agree that 11-14 spoil it somewhat. Headingley I like, and must play it again if it has been re-vamped. A good friend of mine is hoping to join Alwoodley this year or next, so I am hoping for invite in the future.
Although I support Bradford in every way, I have to say that the North East of Leeds is a fantastic area for golf. There aren't any bad courses. I have only played Sandmoor once, a long time ago, and it poured down, so I need to go back there too.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Its been a long time since I played any of those courses. But Sandmoor was my personal favourite in the North Leeds golf belt. Probably because I got to play it more than the others.

Never really liked Headingley though for some reason.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played them all a few times, and I think that Moortown has it over Alwoodley, although, like Rulefan, I would agree that 11-14 spoil it somewhat. Headingley I like, and must play it again if it has been re-vamped. A good friend of mine is hoping to join Alwoodley this year or next, so I am hoping for invite in the future.
Although I support Bradford in every way, I have to say that the North East of Leeds is a fantastic area for golf. There aren't any bad courses. I have only played Sandmoor once, a long time ago, and it poured down, so I need to go back there too.

We're definitely spoilt around here for quality course's. Sand Moor is a really nice course, playable too, same with Headingley. For myself Alwoodley is probably too punishing for a high handicaper.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This is good, I joined Moortown a couple of years ago and I don't think there's been a single time that I haven't thought how amazing it is. Having played it a lot I now like 11-14 the most whereas I always used to think they were the 'weakish' holes. I used to play at Headingley and this has changed loads in recent years with trees being uplifted here, there and everywhere and it's now amazing. They've got the English Amateur there in a few weeks with Moortown - this was from this morning (is near my kids' school)

Attachments

• HGC_14.jpg
    HGC_14.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 14

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I love Sand Moor but played Headingley just before lockdown and thought it was fantastic. They were re doing one of the holes but I've seen pictures of it now it's completed and it really is something.

Haven't played Moortown but really enjoyed Alwoodley we played a forum meet. Expensive and probably too good a course for me but really appreciated it.

Had a little walk on 12 this morning

Attachments

• HGC_12.jpg
    HGC_12.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 15