gadgets

wigangolf

Visit site
I am terrible at finding golf balls,(even on the fairway it seems) I have come across some blue glasses which supposedly help you find the golf ball by blocking out light and making white balls stand out, does anyone have any experience of these before i shell out upwards of £20?

I have also seen an electronic golf ball finder which can apparently find your ball even if only 3 dimples are visible through the rough, its over £100 though, has anyone tried one of these?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wigy,

If I was in your shoes I would not fork out a dime until I got my eyes tested. Seriously, I am not having a pop but unless you bat it 330+ yards you should ask your optition his opinion.

I have a pair of Oakley polaroid sun goggles and I love them but your vision through these gadget goggles is only ever going to be as good as your eye sight.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Wigy,

I know of someone who had an electronic "ball finder" total waste of money, couldn't differentiate between balls and daisies or any other remotely white plant/object!

Avoid!

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi wigy,

Like madandra i wear a pair of oakleys and would be lost without them at times.

Dont fall into the gadget trap.Treat yourself to a pair of decent sunglasses and then a lesson in keeping your ball straight(only joking)

On the serious side you wouldnt go wrong in having an eye test, but a pair of sunglasses is a good option.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On a lighter note, what gadget would you like in an 'ideal world?'
Tom Cox has some good ideas on his blog (golf in the year 2115)
http://secretgolf.blogspot.com/
Personally I fancy self-cleaning grooves, automatic divot sealant, or a shankless wedge ..

any other ideas?

Ali

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just reading some reviews online about those electronic ball finders, they look as much use as tits on a nun!

Blue glasses???? WTF? Unless your going to a fancy dress as Elton John leave them well alone!

Go get your eyes checked mate, its 15 quid in spec savers. Just had in done myself, I had a similar problem.

Just started playing wearing my new glasses and still trying to adjust to the new distance that i see the ball at set up.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought eye tests where now free all over? Certainly in Scotland my last one was free?

I thought it was some NHS/ Government thing.

But as before, highly recommend getting tested. Would also recommend contacts for golf, I personally find it much easier to play in them,especially in the rain!

wigangolf

Visit site
I thought eye tests where now free all over? Certainly in Scotland my last one was free?

I thought it was some NHS/ Government thing.

But as before, highly recommend getting tested. Would also recommend contacts for golf, I personally find it much easier to play in them,especially in the rain!
thanx for the replies people, but i have perfect eyesight, as a proffesional driver i have them tested regularly, i am just not very good at finding golf balls(usually my own, strangely i nearly always manage to find my playing partners :D), anyway i will definately be giving the gadjets a miss, thanx again.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wigy,
I have blue glasses though mine are prescription - mainly distance with a small inner corner of each lens reading, instead of my usual full varifocals. (I thought the shifts in focus were causing me to lose the ball.)
I was going for new varifocals in Specsavers (already had perfectly good prescription sunglasses - long story) so as my 'free' pair I had golf glasses made.
The blue was chance - I was actually looking for the old yellow that you used to get on driving glasses but this isn't available anymore.
The blue does make white stand out, better with a clean ball! Treated 'greens' also stand out - more blue.
At this time of year though I would recommend a leaf blower - what's the etiquette on that?

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't play in sunglasses - they somehow distort my vision and find that I mis-hit the ball. Does anyone else have this problem?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive tried wraparounds (albeit about 6 years ago) and found I couldnt get comfortable over the ball either. Saying that theres a fella in our club that tals and holds a cigar between his front teeth when hes playing a shot, it takes all sorts I suppose.
for what its worth also, ball finders etc are illegal in competition. To me it doesnt make sense why people would invest money in something that cant be used for competition and only in social/practice rounds. For those rounds I use less new balls so can afford to lose them, this negates the usefulness of the gadgets in the first place surely? and perhaps im pushing some people into stereotypical pigeon holes but the sort fo people Id assume use these things would probably hit molitors and Arnie almer balls anyway.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've never tried playing in sunglasses but there must be something to them because a lot of the top Pros use them, the ladies paticularly. I also understand tha Jack Nicklaus is totally colour-blind, so maybe there is some beneficial effect in taking the colour out of the scene, or at least subduing it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A lot of the top pros have them balanced on the back of their hat. This is not the same as wearing them, but keeps the sponsors (Oakley mainly) happy.

I play in sunglasses, but take them off to putt. Have never found a pair I am happy putting in. The quest continues (10 pairs of Oakleys and counting).