Gadget required, any suggestions

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have an almost vertical backswing, it’s extreemly upright and results in me coming across the ball and huge slices are common.

Bumped into a Lady Teaching Pro at the range this week and she suggested a drill where you set an alignment stick in the ground at 45 degrees and try to keep the club underneath it.

Tried it and liked it, but with the earth so baked, it’s a problem getting the stick to stay in.

Are there any alignment stick holders than can be angled?
Thought about making one with an Umbrella holder mounted on a bit of wood.

Thoughts please 👍

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Get a tent peg and hammer it into the ground at the required angle then get one of those long grey foam tubes used for lagging water pipes from B&Q and pop it on the peg.
Failing that, try hitting the ball that's 2 ft above your feet

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an almost vertical backswing, it’s extreemly upright and results in me coming across the ball and huge slices are common.

Bumped into a Lady Teaching Pro at the range this week and she suggested a drill where you set an alignment stick in the ground at 45 degrees and try to keep the club underneath it.

Tried it and liked it, but with the earth so baked, it’s a problem getting the stick to stay in.

Are there any alignment stick holders than can be angled?
Thought about making one with an Umbrella holder mounted on a bit of wood.

Thoughts please 👍

read a tip in a mag once about turning a range bucket upside down then putting the stick through so its 45 degree angle

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I like Uncle Bobs idea of the Foam tubes, not particularly keen in slamming my expensive driver into a plastic rod if I get it wrong.

The question is how much can you use before it droops and is 45 degrees the optimal angle?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like Uncle Bobs idea of the Foam tubes, not particularly keen in slamming my expensive driver into a plastic rod if I get it wrong.

The question is how much can you use before it droops and is 45 degrees the optimal angle?

You slide the foam tubing/pipe lagging over the alignment stick. That way the stick supports the foam tube and the foam tube protects the driver

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Snapped an 8 iron with that drill 24 hours before flying out to Portugal.

Hands close to your right pocket on delivery for an in to out path

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Saw a drill on you tube somewhere, you put a series of tee's in the ground and then use a piece of stiff card ( approx 12 inch square) held in place at the required angle by the tee's

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Swing plane perfector here - unfortunately quite expensive

Or the diy version here

I like the idea of this, but think I will go for the DIY version.

I'm all for paying for quality and innovation, but £150 (with shipping and the forced 3x alignment sticks added) is excessive in my opinion. Maybe I am too cheap, but for me to consider such a device it would need to be nearer the £30-40 price point.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of this, but think I will go for the DIY version.

I'm all for paying for quality and innovation, but £150 (with shipping and the forced 3x alignment sticks added) is excessive in my opinion. Maybe I am too cheap, but for me to consider such a device it would need to be nearer the £30-40 price point.

You're not cheap, the price of training aids in golf are crazy