G20 Driver

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So...still tempted by one and some good prices on Ebay. Have found one that meets my spec which is rare (soft regular, aqua grip, 1" shorter). It's a 10.5 degree and I'm intrigued if I can get my ball flight down a tad with that so a bit more run (in normal ground conditions!). Hit David's 10.5 degree without fade/slice although it's a regular shaft...

The seller is a pro shop and mentions light scratches on the crown so have asked for a picture and here it is. They don't look significant as stated and he says only show in some lights but I hate marks on the crown and wonder if they might rub out with polish? What do you think?

G20_zps4abb4daf.jpg

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit of t cut should do the trick, or you could try one of those cover up pens they sell on the telly if they bother you.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
A bit of t cut should do the trick, or you could try one of those cover up pens they sell on the telly if they bother you.

Ta. I was thinking the T-Cut/Scratch Repair would hopefully work as I did the same on my G15 head and can't see the scratches now.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
i know it says its shorter but from previous posts have you worked out if it affects the swingweight

Good question. From what I've learnt on here if it is custom built then they use the right length shaft rather than trim from a regular one?? Asked that question so will see.

T

thecraw

I wouldn't touch it to be honest. There are plenty more out there that you can go for. Scratches look quite deep to me if they're showing up that clearly in a photograph.

What loft are you looking for?

Do you want to keep the current shaft that your using and swap it into the new driver as I remember you saying you were fitted for that shaft or you liked it?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't touch it to be honest. There are plenty more out there that you can go for. Scratches look quite deep to me if they're showing up that clearly in a photograph.

What loft are you looking for?

Do you want to keep the current shaft that your using and swap it into the new driver as I remember you saying you were fitted for that shaft or you liked it?

Hi Craw. Thanks. I do have doubts and ought to follow my instincts and leave well alone. He mentions a little bag rub too and sounds like it may not have been looked after as well as it should. I have been fitted for the G15 shaft and do like it and to be honest have recently found my driver swing again and been hitting it nicely. The new shiny desire started almost as a frustration as was struggling with it - all technique though and just a focus on NOT opening the clubface has me nailing them again. I do hit them high though and always have done but feel that is losing me some distance...hence wondering about a 10.5 loft versus my 12 degree. I then read stuff suggesting it migh not be a good idea though so am very undecided which is very like me! My club is running a Titleist Demo Day on Wed so I'm having a bash with their drivers for the first time but £300 is a bit steep having spent the same on my car service yesterday and been told I need 2 front tyres!!

Any advice? Cheers.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about height, when it's in the air then there is no trouble, hang time is important for distance. You will still get run out on a firm fairway, if we ever get firm fairways again that is. If you ask any pro they will tell you players almost always choose the wrong loft on a driver and that a bit more will help most golfers to get better results.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
8.5 would prob be a slice or hook monster??

I agree about carry and air time and like how my drives look compared to most females I play with who hit skiddy top-spin nasty looking things but then run out so I'm not as far ahead until we're downwind! It's always frustrated me though. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get some proper numbers for my G15 versus something else! Wednesday will be my first hit of a Titleist and we'll see what the stats are versus my Ping and perhaps go from there.

The Sclaffer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm very pleased with my G20 Driver which I purchased after a custom fitting exercise with Ping last season. My tee shots tend to land quite "soft" and I requested a shaft which would help me achieve a little more roll when the ball lands. After all the tests, the shaft which suited me best was the Ping regular "Tour" shaft and even with 10.5 degree of loft on the clubhead, it's working fine for me.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
8.5 would prob be a slice or hook monster??

I agree about carry and air time and like how my drives look compared to most females I play with who hit skiddy top-spin nasty looking things but then run out so I'm not as far ahead until we're downwind! It's always frustrated me though. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get some proper numbers for my G15 versus something else! Wednesday will be my first hit of a Titleist and we'll see what the stats are versus my Ping and perhaps go from there.

8.5 was for thecraw

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
8.5 was for thecraw

Ahh - phew!

Seller came back and has been very honest. Built by Ping with the shorter shaft but he feels the scratch near the toe is deep enough not to polish out but the 3 near the heel will. I know it will bother me even if I can't see it at address so have said I'll pass this time. What's to bet I fall for a very expensive Titleist on Wednesday?!

T

thecraw

Titleist make absolutely beautiful bats there is no doubt. Even with my Ping bias I prefer the look of the traditional pear shaped Titleist head, however I prefer the feel and performance of the Ping drivers. I'm very tempted to put an 8.5 degree into play to see how it works out as I feel my 9.5 still launches a tad too high.

I have a few irons in the fire though.

It sounds as though your current shaft works well so it may be worth buying a decent G20/G25 and swapping in your shaft. I'll let you have my 9.5!(at a decent price of course!)

:thup:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hussey........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I know - from Ping Princess to Titleist Tart :D

Food for thought Craw as to swapping the shaft. I too like the look of the Titleist drivers but the numbers would have to be compelling to splash the cash on one.