G15 TFC 149 irons.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been offered a set of G15 5-PW in TFC 149 reg graphite, before they go on the shelf. Got tomorrow to try them, which I'll do, regardless.

They are going on the shelf at £315, I could probably get them for £285 in used £20 notes!

I know the shaft suits me, but is there anything else I should know, other than to hit them, about graphite irons, and G15s generally?

They look in VGC, currently white dotted.

Grips seems a little thicker than my home-gripped Callaways with Golf Pride tour velvet 0.580.

Seems pricey for 6 irons, but I'm guessing they were mega expensive new?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They would have been around 70-80 quid each new - so best part of 500 notes....
If they're in good nick they're worth it under 300....

I think you'll struggle to hit anything but a straight, high shot with them but that may be what you're looking for.
As solid a SGI irona as you'll find.

The graphite shaft may make them feel lighter than your X's but with time you'll get used to any difference.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Murg.

I found this quote from Tom Wishon: "If gaining more distance is a primary goal for the golfer, they should definitely be fit with the proper graphite shaft design in their woods and irons to match their swing. On the other hand, if distance is not the main focus for the golfer because they already have a high swing speed, if they like the feel of steel and their swing tempo matches a little better to the higher total weight steel shafts bring to the clubs, then steel is the better option."

Distance is one of my aims, but I don't really care if I hit a 9 or 8 iron?

I also read this, but I don't know what to make of it.

http://www.golfwrx.com/30740/graphite-shafts-in-irons-the-final-frontier/

t.b.h. high and straight is good! I hit my X-18s straight enough, but I could certainly use some height on short irons...

Lots to think about. Currently lying under the covers with man-flu.....

the clock is ticking.....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
THEY ARE EPIC!

Trouble is, though, I don't think they are for me. :(

The short irons go stupendous distances, but there's almost nothing in it with the 5 and 6 iron.

Do I want to go from a nice 100-175 PW - 5 iron

to a not so nice 130-180 PW - 5 iron?

NO.

130 yard PW? sounds good, 140 9 iron?, sounds better, but...alas....