G.U.R/ Not G.U R question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ground staff are working on additional drainage on our 7th green.

It's probably the worst draining green on the course (.... Hence the work).

Today was the monthly stableford and this is the site that greeted us.

temporary-87.jpg

The 7th at our place is a 217 yards par 3. Thiss work was being carried out on the extreme left of the green.

THIS AREA WAS NOT MARKED AS G.U.R.

Question: Were a ball to land in this area/become entangled in the removed turf/ ball resting on or against it, what would the players options be?

As the area is not marked as G.U.R, I assume it play it as it lies or take a penalty drop?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Part of the Definition of GUR:

...Ground under repair includes material piled for removal and a hole made by a greenkeeper, even if not so marked....

So it's GUR.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Part of the Definition of GUR:

...Ground under repair includes material piled for removal and a hole made by a greenkeeper, even if not so marked....

So it's GUR.

Thanks for that....

However.....

The piled turf was not for removal. It was to be placed back over the drainage gravel that has been cut into the green.

Would the definition you state still apply?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say it is piled for removal even if it is only going to be "removed" a few yards when the time comes for it to be replaced.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As this was a monthly comp, it should have been tidied and marked as GUR.
Someone should get a boot up their backside for this

Pretty much what I said to my playing partner Bob.

We heard a group in the club house talking about it but thought it wouldn't be as they were describing..... Clearly, it was.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a frustration where on many courses areas are marked GUR which never get repaired so technically not GUR

In fairness Valentino. On the next hole they are in the process of widening and deepening the greenside bunker. The are letting face of the bunker (Above the lip of the sand) to grow in and it is marked as G.U.R.

The same on part of the run-off area on 18 which has just been re-turfed and sprayed G.U.R while it beds in.

This (Picture above) is very, very strange for our ground staff as Graham, the head groundsman, is usually very "houseproud".

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a frustration where on many courses areas are marked GUR which never get repaired so technically not GUR

I think it's the other way round :)

Technically it's GUR, but it's not actually being repaired....

As to the OP, it' GUR and I can understand not wanting to mark huge white lines and, if work is ongoing, posts and rope will just hinder the work.

However, I wold expect to see a note on the LR board within 24 hours of the work starting (they may have hoped to finish it in one session)

It has the look of 'emergency work', or let's see if we can get this done now, rather than something that's been scheduled for a few weeks.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say it is piled for removal even if it is only going to be "removed" a few yards when the time comes for it to be replaced.

Would agree with this. It is clearly not intended that the turfs should stay where they are so in my view they are going to be removed, and therefore GUR.

Even if no one thought it was GUR could they not be moved as "loose impediments", provided you could do so without moving the ball?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's the other way round :)

Technically it's GUR, but it's not actually being repaired....

As to the OP, it' GUR and I can understand not wanting to mark huge white lines and, if work is ongoing, posts and rope will just hinder the work.

However, I wold expect to see a note on the LR board within 24 hours of the work starting (they may have hoped to finish it in one session)

It has the look of 'emergency work', or let's see if we can get this done now, rather than something that's been scheduled for a few weeks.

Whatever way round you want it areas shouldn't be marked GUR unless they are getting repaired

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whatever way round you want it areas shouldn't be marked GUR unless they are getting repaired

Agree and does raise an interesting interesting paradox - scruffy arrea marked GUR, no longer in play so no need to ever repair it, hence permanently about to be repaired (I have stuff in my house/garden like that!:eek:)

Must be examples of long standing GUR areas on some courses that have just been forgotten about and no one will ever get around to actually repairing?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree and does raise an interesting interesting paradox - scruffy arrea marked GUR, no longer in play so no need to ever repair it, hence permanently about to be repaired (I have stuff in my house/garden like that!:eek:)

Must be examples of long standing GUR areas on some courses that have just been forgotten about and no one will ever get around to actually repairing?

Absolutely, if it's marked GUR it should get repaired. Leaving it as GUR indefinitely is not right.

DCB

Visit site
We had an area last year that ended up having to be designated as GUR for the best part of the season. We had problems with a newly opened drainage ditch which encountered unforeseen difficulties. We had to go to the SGU to clarify the situation before we could do this. Bottom line was GUR is a temporary condition and should not be there indefinitely. We had to carry out the necessary remedial works as soon as practicable and remove the GUR status when the works were complete.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

If these areas are designated GUR by the Committee they are GUR by Definition. There is an interesting run of comments here, including mention of advice from the SGU about the intended temporary nature of GUR. But although "under repair" may have connotations of a end point when a repair has been done, I don't think there is any time limitation expressed in the Rules and the definition doesn't even mention that an area needs literally to be "under repair".

“Ground under repair” is any part of the course so marked by order of the Committee or so declared by its authorized representative

So until someone points me to what I have overlooked, I stick to the view that within the Rules, the Committee can designate an area as GUR indefinitely - even permanently - and for whatever reason it chooses.

Any offers?

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think we can get hung up on what ground under repair literally means. It may sound daft, but as you can see, there is nothing in the Definition of GUR that says that the ground actually has to be under repair. Bear in mind this is a game where you a ball can be lost even though you find it. Words mean what you make them mean.

A good example of permanent GUR is an Environmentally Sensitive Area designated as GUR

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
could this be classed as green keepers debris as per grass clippings piles of branches etc and a free drop incurred as opposed to gur?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
could this be classed as green keepers debris as per grass clippings piles of branches etc and a free drop incurred as opposed to gur?

These examples you give are classed as G.U.R within the rules.

As already said, even if not GUR, they can be classed as loose impediments and may be moved if you can do so without moving the ball or if they interfere with stance, line of play etc.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quick update.

Called at the course this moring. The turf has been re-laid over the drainage gravel and the whole area has been circled with a white spray and marked as G.U.R.

I spoke to the groundstaff and they say the G.U.R is a short term measure to let the turf bed-in and should be back to normal for the coming weekend (Weather dependant).