Funny-shaped drivers

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've seen some strange-shaped golf clubs over the years, but until recently they all seemed to be short-lived. Remember Bullet's driver with the middle cut away, Wilson's bizarre Invex driver or Cleveland's simply hideous VAS irons that Corey Pavin switched to just before his game went into near-terminal decline?

On that basis, does anyone else think that the new square drivers from Callaway and Nike are here to stay or just another short-lived fad to make us part with our hard-earned dosh?? And I've even seen pics to suggest Titleist's new driver will be triangular - like an oversize, grey Toblerone on the end of a stick, (without the nutty bits inside, obviously).

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say that I think the square drivers might just be the next big thing and despite the immediate uglyness if the technology shows they are better we will all be using them before you know it....not so sure about hitting my pro-v with a toblerone stick...!

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The square head makes sense to me as it will surely make it easier to take the club away directly along the target line. I think we'll all get over the funny shape soon enough.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
it sounds like a good theory and if they get good initial reviews and start appearing on tour I’m sure they will sell- from an amateur point of view anything that can improve our game has to be a good thing!

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Toblerone shaped drivers!! Sounds superb-would certainly be a reason for me buying a driver! They have the chocky loving American market covered!

Interested to see it as titleist certainly aren’t known for creating unorthodox shaped heads!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
mmmmmmm chocolate! Not to sure i like the look of that- certainly moves away from traditional titleist drivers and is a completely different approach to Nike and Callaway’s square design.

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure that they will be appearing on tour that much. The very high M.O.I that they produce is very good at helping most of us to hit it straight but for the better players who may want to shape shots this will not be ideal.

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I was lucky enough to hit a few shots with one on the driving range at the London Club last week and it went really well

Don't like the design though, but that may be because we're not used to them yet