Frustrated

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know what it is, but whenever I play match play it takes a run of poor holes, and the build up of a hefty deficit before I pull my finger out. Today was a prime example, during the first round of a club competition. I was striking the ball pretty poorly on the front 9 and just kept playing what I now believe to be overly cautious golf trying to not 'give' any holes away. Unfortunately my opponent went out in +1 (gross, off of 8) so I was 4 down at the turn.

It was only when I realised however after the 10th hole when the score was still the same that time was running out and I needed to throw caution to the wind. I began playing much better and my short game was the best it has ever been- I was throwing the ball right up to the hole and watching it check which was nice as it took judging the run of very undulating greens out of the equation (I am going to have to start facing the expense of playing premium balls I think, they are soooo much better!). I managed to win 11, half 12, win 13, half 14, half 15, win 16. So I was 1 down with 2 to play and had begun playing much better now I was actually trying to attack the course rather than hide in the shadows from its varying hazards. One main change was that now I was no longer trying to 'steer' the ball onto the fairway my tee shots were much better.

I hit the green on 17 and my partner missed. I was therefore left with a two putt to half the hole and at least take it down the last. I failed to do so and my partner got up and down to win 2 & 1.

I was just very frustrated that I was seemingly happy stumbling along through the front 9 thinking I can still pull this back, and it took a sudden realisation to make me start 'trying' that bit harder.

I think next time I will be aggressive from the start, as this is not the first time this has happened! Does anybody else find they get like this during match play?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Dif'rent strokes!

I actually prefer matchplay. It's about the only time I seem to play reasonably well.

I don't know if you have a range or little par 3 section at your course. But how about 'playing' a few holes before the match.

I hate even being one down in matchplay, as it enevitably means that a need to win two holes to get ahead. For some reason I concentrate better on the game and not the swing in matchplay. Don't know why!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always seem to play well in matchplay. I'm not sure if it has something to do with a lack of pressure to score as sub-conscioulsy a bad hole is just a loss on that one and move on and so there is more freedom to my swing and less inhibitions.

I'm with HH on this and hate going down in a match. It sounds silly but its almost a personal sleight on my ability that someone has beaten me and so I'll try twice as hard to prove myself. In reality if you lose to a birdie (gross or net) then I'm not too fussed but if I lose a hole to par then it really hurts.