Frozen Shoulder

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Came on towards end of last week and yes have called GP and currently waiting on the call from them but just wondered if anyone on here has had frozen shoulder before and was looking for a bit of advice on anything that may help relieve it!

Is it supposed to be this sore? Constant severe pain in the joint and even touching it is agony and moving it creates an unbelievable level of pain! Never in my life have I had anything as sore as this and it’s so bad I’d nearly swap it for toothache!

How long can I expect it to take to ease and should I be moving it as much as possible or not? Sleeping was almost impossible last couple of nights.

Help!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife has had it for about 3 months and yes it is all that you say (she had it previously on her other shoulder). Start on the exercises straight away. The dr will refer you to a physio who will tell you to do the same exercises that you will see online when you google frozen shoulder.

You should be moving it although they say try to avoid pain. It's a contradiction I'm afraid, sorry. Dope yourself up, ice the shoulder, start the exercises. It will take a period of months but hopefully the pain will reduce to a manageable level ahead of a return to full mobility.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've had it recur a number of times now. It lasts for differing periods, sometimes 4 or 5 months, sometimes a month. Very common when you approach 50, I'm 56 and have had it on and off since I was 48, the Japanese call it gojukata (50 year shoulder), not that that helps :oops:. You have to keep moving it and stretching it, best go see a physio, pretty sure that's all the doc will suggest, unless they think it is something else. Occasionally the doc will prescribe me a nasty anti inflammatory (naproxen) if it's particularly bad. That helps it a lot but it messes up my stomach causing stomach ulcers so have to take other stuff as well to counter it, try not to do that very often, and usually take half dosage. Ironically, playing golf doesn't seem to affect it too much, because the swing movement doesn't extend it through the pain point. Unfortunately, I run an Aikido club, some of the movement involved there makes it very difficult to use at times.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had this a couple of years ago, no apparent reason for the onset and unbelievably painful, like yourself, sleeping was virtually impossible. Try resting your arm on a pillow alongside you to sleep.

It's really strange in that the shoulder joint completely locks up at its worst, i.e. not just movement restricted by the pain.

It can last anywhere from a few days to a few months. I had a stretching/exercise plan given by the physio I was referred to, after a month or so with no improvement I was referred for a Cortisone injection, which can be very painful in itself. I really put myself through the ringer with the exercises and the day before my injection was due I began to get some increased movement. They decided not to risk the Cortisone injection given the sudden improvement and I persevered with pushing through the pain and the recovery from that point was dramatic.

My advice would be to get a physio referral through your GP and be prepared to really push yourself and be prepared to suffer through any exercises they recommend.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, good to get confirmation that it is indeed usually as sore as i am!

Tried the sleeping with a pillow under it which eventually got me a couple of hours sleep, thankfully!

Had feared you were going to tell me that I need to be moving it and stretching it as that’s going to hurt!

Just spoke to GP and he’s prescribed some strong painkillers and anti-inflammatory to begin with then reassess in a week! The scary bit is the timescales for recovery you guys are chatting about ?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Same here, I had it in my right arm for weeks, that went and now it is my left arm. Sleeping can be difficult and any sudden movement can send a thunderbolt of pain down to the wrist.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've had it in my left arm for just over two years now. It has slowly improved but I still don't have full mobility and from a golf perspective my follow through is still curtailed, but not as much as at the start.
It's a pain, no doubt about it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be a damaged rotator cuff.

The Doc should refer you for a scan and they can advise if it is a strain or a muscle/ligament tear. My treatment was a cortisone injection which works reasonably but do not expect it to get to as you were were. Did mine about 10 years ago and it still gives a bit of pain from time to time.

I talked to the Consultant about physio but in his view it would take an age trying that alone.

PS Naproxen is brilliant if offered just make sure you read the leaflet and take all the necessary measures to avoid stomach problems but you should be doing that with any anti inflammatory drug such Ibuprofen anyway.