Foursomes Handicaps

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've encountered a perception that it is adantageous for a high handicapper to partner a low handicapper in foursomes. Does anyone know any statistics/studies which deal with that? I'm looking for facts, not more perceptions!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've encountered a perception that it is adantageous for a high handicapper to partner a low handicapper in foursomes. Does anyone know any statistics/studies which deal with that? I'm looking for facts, not more perceptions!

Maybe you could find the stats in the same place that CONGU uses to justify 90% difference in 4s

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My perception is the complete opposite!

However, the facts won't be as there are a number of variables in play for any given situation. Start with a standard scratch golfer and consider the range of possible 18 handicap players and add in course length and tightness.....becomes clear that theres no single solution. Paired with a solid stable short hitting senior on a shorter tighter course and it should be a good pair; put them together on a 7200 with carries and you are probably wasting the scr players capability!

Generally similar golfers who play a similar game will work together better, and enjoy the game better - both of which will normally translate into better performances.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe you could find the stats in the same place that CONGU uses to justify 90% difference in 4s

Rofl.

90% came from ducking the issue (again). They remain smarting from reaction to the move to 100% in singles so just took a step towards the end goal.

I confidentially predict 100% will now come in with the new handicapping :thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If H + L had an advantage the L + L would not seem to do quite so well in comps.

All very well having a load of shots when L+H but my long experience of playing foursomes matches tells me that consistency of a pair and stability under pressure works better than having a load of shots. I have been in the winning pair many more times as L+L than L+H.

That said in my last foursomes outing (actually a mixed greensomes match playing with a 16h/cap lady) we did well because I was able to play the second shots many times off my lady partners steady 175yd tee shots into the middle of the fairway. That they were played from the ladies tees made things all the better as my second shots were similar in length to what I'd normally be playing off my own tee shots - were I always in the middle of the fairway.

But no evidence other than my own experience.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
SILH

Normally you would only be able to play the 2nd shot 9 times though, unless I have missed something

Not in greensomes in general (that I have played in over the years) - but clearly yes if that specific restriction is applied by the club for the purposes of a specific comp.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Greensomes not foursomes

correct...though I appreciate it was diverting of me to talk greensomes in context of a foursomes question. My greensomes comment was in response to the observation that playing with a higher handicapper who is steadily hitting it not very far, but consistently into the middle of the fairway, will very much help a L + H pair do well.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
My preference for foursomes is to have a good steady 10 handicapper as a partner. My reasoning for this is that on the low index holes, chances are with a high handicapper we would probably need the shot anyway, so not really getting an advantage.