fourballs...bin em!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing worse than waiting around on a golf course - alright it's ok if you are 2-under par after 10 (erm...like me...honest..!) and quite happy feeling like Sergio round Valderama but otherwise how miserable, especially in winter!

I reckon all courses should ban four-balls all yr and three-balls just in the summer - wat u think?

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fourball is the best way to play friendly golf, it gives so many different options and is very sociable. I agree it can be slow but I enjoy my Saturday morning better ball matches more than any other format.

JohnWT

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm with Shooter. I can't stand foursomes - you look forward to a game all week and then only get to play 30 shots.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fourballs can be a pain in the backside when you are stuck behind a pack of jokers who don't know the cartpath from the fairway but its more the etiquette they need to be educated in. Got stuck behind the aforementioned last week and had to wait on every shot in torrential rain. Got to a heavily elevated par 3 with woods behind and to the left and every one of them lost thir ball and spent 10 mins huntin for it before they would let us play thru. They apologised but I dont think any of them actually knew rules etc.

chirs

Visit site
that would be so very wrong! when else can you have so much on the line than a saturday medal between friend with a four ball match in your group, except for maybe the british open or one of those little things!

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you play fourball, then betterball should be compulsory. Even then you'd get some muppet insisting on putting out for a 15 on the grounds that he 'always like to keep a score' Only exception - if you've shelled out £150 to play somewhere posh, then you should be allowed to keep your own score. These clubs can't have it both ways - i.e. taking the best part of a week's wages from you then expecting you to race round like the hare at White City

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
I like the idea of banning slow players, great idea!

What if there was some way that group size was regulated by handicap? I am thinking about the fourballs I played in over the summer and with us all playing off 5 or less we could easily get round in no more than 3 hours each time we played.
Does less shots equal less time? Probably not in all cases. So maybe it's not that simple.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had the idea of a black book in the clubhouse to name and shame the slowest players in the Saturday medal. If you've been held up particularly badly by someone you could (anonymously) write their name in the black book. If they appear 5 times or something like that then they pay a fine. Maybe they would have to miss a week's competition or explain themselves to the committee or maybe their photo could go up in the pro-shop in a sort of, "Do not give this man a time" type way .... Perhaps it's a bit extreme, don't think I'd have the guts to suggest it in the next AGM.