Footjoy Pro SL Waterprrof Issues?

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has been finding issues with the 2019 Pro SL not being waterproof? Only had mine 4 weeks, first round in the wet yesterday and both feet dripping by end of round. My pro is sending them back but was wondering whether I should ask for a credit note rather than a direct replacement if this is a known or commonly recurring issue?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it's common to a lot of supposedly waterproof shoes these days.
Most of them that say they are, simply ain't...or are but only for a while.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks, none of the above sounds very promising, wonder why its so difficult to manage to make a golf shoe waterproof?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks, none of the above sounds very promising, wonder why its so difficult to manage to make a golf shoe waterproof?

You can make the materials waterproof, but the design and use means that water gets into the sock front the ankle area (especially if there is any padding their!) as well as the tongue. It can even wick in via the laces.

So, walking on damp fairways they should (will) stay dry inside but one short trip through wet rough and the exposed padded liner areas will absorb enough moisture to soak the sock pretty quickly.

Shoes like the dryJoys Tours, or icons, don't have the exposed padded liner areas and have more sealed tongues etc

Short of wearing boots of some sort the idea of keeping moisture out of a low golf shoe in any really wet conditions seems a little strange to me - don't get me wrong, I have many pairs that will happily stand in a couple of inches of water for hours on end without anything getting in (so they are waterproof!) but in use the same shoes will 'leak'

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
You can make the materials waterproof, but the design and use means that water gets into the sock front the ankle area (especially if there is any padding their!) as well as the tongue. It can even wick in via the laces.

So, walking on damp fairways they should (will) stay dry inside but one short trip through wet rough and the exposed padded liner areas will absorb enough moisture to soak the sock pretty quickly.

Shoes like the dryJoys Tours, or icons, don't have the exposed padded liner areas and have more sealed tongues etc

Short of wearing boots of some sort the idea of keeping moisture out of a low golf shoe in any really wet conditions seems a little strange to me - don't get me wrong, I have many pairs that will happily stand in a couple of inches of water for hours on end without anything getting in (so they are waterproof!) but in use the same shoes will 'leak'

Yeah appreciate the leaking through laces etc, this though was the bottom of my feet only and toes, sides top and ankle all dry.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
it's been said many times on leaky shoe posts - but if you want your feet to stay dry, buy a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks. I became so frustrated at getting wet feet that I finally bought a pair in autumn and my feet have been kept both dry and warm!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
it's been said many times on leaky shoe posts - but if you want your feet to stay dry, buy a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks. I became so frustrated at getting wet feet that I finally bought a pair in autumn and my feet have been kept both dry and warm!!!
This. Not cheap but a great investment. Water will find a way in through lace holes and the ankle area in long grass especially. Sometimes people think that means they are leaking but they aren't. It's not a problem unique to FJ although I concede their quality seems to be dropping

mister v

Visit site
Im with you on the sealskinz. brilliant bit of kit. i did buy some nike lunar boots for winter golf and they turned out to be a great investment. no such thing as inappropriate weather just inappropriate clothing

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The make of shoes I have been wearing for the past few years, Crivit (Aldi, Lidl), have been the most waterproof shoes I have ever owned and they only cost £25 a pair. Good design in the laces area is one the factors.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Wellies would be better for you Jacko;)

I have a couple of pairs of goretex shoes, Salomon and Merrell. Both of these I can tramp through mud, fields and forest and have bone dry feet. Golf shoes, walk through semi rough and boom, damp feet. Why can Salomon and Merrell both make waterproof shoes yet golf shoes are crap?

As for Ecco been there, would never buy again due to their customer service.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a couple of pairs of goretex shoes, Salomon and Merrell. Both of these I can tramp through mud, fields and forest and have bone dry feet. Golf shoes, walk through semi rough and boom, damp feet. Why can Salomon and Merrell both make waterproof shoes yet golf shoes are crap?

As for Ecco been there, would never buy again due to their customer service.
i would ecco (;)) your point about the customer service now at Ecco, i think the UK arm has been taken over by someone else and its terrible and thats putting it mildly

Springveldt

Visit site
I've got a pair of FJ Energize BOA and although they claim to be waterproof any visit to the rough (pretty often) and the water comes in around the tongue area. Doesn't matter how tight I make them, even to the point of cutting off the circulation in my foot, it always finds a way in.

The Nike Lunar Control Vapor 2 ones I've got seem much better, have never really noticed wet feet with them, even after being in the rough. Only problem with them is the stupid grip system on them has started to cause slipping in my back swing. They were great at first but I think since I've had them about a year it must be getting worn down.