flooring a garage

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moving into a new house in 3 weeks and excited that HID has told me the garage is to be mine and left to my own devices... images of a golf simulator/Cinema room/gym going through my head for a mancave.....

However it's a smooth concrete floor and I was planning on putting reasonably strong laminate and underlay down but a quick google search last night revealed it may not be as straight forward as thought with the floor possibly sweating etc with no insulation... has anyone done this sort of thing before? I don't want to end up with mould underneath.

Any tips?

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moving into a new house in 3 weeks and excited that HID has told me the garage is to be mine and left to my own devices... images of a golf simulator/Cinema room/gym going through my head for a mancave.....

However it's a smooth concrete floor and I was planning on putting reasonably strong laminate and underlay down but a quick google search last night revealed it may not be as straight forward as thought with the floor possibly sweating etc with no insulation... has anyone done this sort of thing before? I don't want to end up with mould underneath.

Any tips?

Firstly check, you may need Building Warrant approval. Is it a modern house / integral garage ? Generally in proper conversions you would put tanalised battens down on a dpc on concrete floor with rigid insulation between the battens then whatever flooring you want on top, be it chipboard or whatever. hth

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly you jammy Arab. Secondly, check, you may need Building Warrant approval. Is it a modern house / integral garage ? Generally in proper conversions you would put tanalised battens down on a dpc on concrete floor with rigid insulation between the battens then whatever flooring you want on top, be it chipboard or whatever. hth

Fixed that for you :D

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's detached so just need to work on best way to do flooring with the above advice- will approach father in law he's a joiner though he's already committed to flooring the whole house :D

Wullie I already have my welling putt mat earmarked for it too. It's only a single garage I think in my head it's going to fit an aladdins cave worth of stuff :D

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ideal, you can buy insulated chipboard flooring and just put that straight on to the floor. One issue my be keeping any rainwater / dampness away from the main / pass garage doors when fitting the flooring. Also how much headheight do you have, will you be able to swing in there ?? tbh I wouldn't bother too much with the insulation for a building with intermittent use.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah it's detached so just need to work on best way to do flooring with the above advice- will approach father in law he's a joiner though he's already committed to flooring the whole house :D

Wullie I already have my welling putt mat earmarked for it too. It's only a single garage I think in my head it's going to fit an aladdins cave worth of stuff :D

A horseshoe bar ,a beer fridge , optics, 50 inch TV, full sports package, simulator .to start with, you can always add more later.:rofl:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ideal, you can buy insulated chipboard flooring and just put that straight on to the floor. One issue my be keeping any rainwater / dampness away from the main / pass garage doors when fitting the flooring. Also how much headheight do you have, will you be able to swing in there ?? tbh I wouldn't bother too much with the insulation for a building with intermittent use.

I think it's about 2.9m but it's beams and there are spaces... + I'm only a short a*** at 5' 7" so I think it should be just about ok- it's why I was hoping I wouldn't need to put anything in that would raise the floor. I doubt the main door will be opened much but through side door rather.

tbh the sim dream is some way off so more likely to use for hitting foam balls off a matt but mainly for making into a mini gym hence why I wan't the flooring.