Flight bags.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My society is off to The Azores in September, so need to invest in a decent flight bag for my clubs.

Flying TAP (air Portugal) if that makes any odds

What would The Forum recommend?

TIA

Jason.H

Visit site
Having been on many cycling holidays. Never had and damage to my carbon road bikes.
A hard case is a must. And I’d do the same for golf clubs. The way those baggage handlers throw things around is scary.

D-S

Visit site
We have these, very good, padded and with either a broom handle or a clubprotector slightly longer than your driver they have gone on loads of flights with no problems and still good as new.
Hard cases are a nightmare to transport around in cars and take up loads of space when not in use.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When travelling to exotic places I like to impress with my extremely expensive real leather and canvass bag and travel cover.

orvis1.JPG SDC11391.JPG

The only problem is how terribly expensive this top quality Orvis-Battenkill stuff is.

USA bag example.jpg

duffle uk.jpg

Maybe not your kind of thing, but hey - only the best for the best. ;););)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have these, very good, padded and with either a broom handle or a clubprotector slightly longer than your driver they have gone on loads of flights with no problems and still good as new.
Hard cases are a nightmare to transport around in cars and take up loads of space when not in use.
I got my son this one last Christmas. Very decent.

The trick is to pad it out to protect vulnerable areas / clubs.

Albo

Visit site
Sun Mountain Kube is very good, partly because you can store it far more easily when not in use.
Second this!
Been away a few times and clubs always been fine. Folds up to store small which keeps the good lady happy that I don’t take up too much space

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You can spend a fortune on them Phil, but there’s no real need to do that. I have a Nike canvas flight bag for my clubs. The important thing in my view is to have something with a really sturdy zip.

Been taking my clubs abroad annually for over twenty years and never had an issue. I wrap my waterproofs round the clubheads inside the rain hood, and am yet to have a damaged club. Another tip is to put an old broom handle, cut to a length just longer than your driver, in with your clubs so that it’s that which takes the brunt of any baggage handler exuberance. Or you can actually buy gizmos on the internet now which are designed specifically for that purpose.

It’s about being sensible. Don’t scrimp and scrape too much, but don’t spend mega bucks. There’s simply no need.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve had an Izzo version of this for years and it’s still going strong. You can pack clothes around it too to save on a suitcase as well as protecting your clubs more. any that packs down like this saves room at the other end.

tip. Stick your golf balls in your carry on. You’d be amazed how much weight the bring.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get yourself a backbone instead of a broom handle. You can extend them to the correct length and the mushroom on the top takes any end on hits. If you can, take the head off your driver also.

D

Deleted member 23270

Hardcase every time. Mine has been to the USA many times, Turkey, Morocco, Portugal, Tenerife, Australia and Ireland. Some of the scrapes on it are shocking and I shudder to think what state my clubs would be in if I'd used a canvas case.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Hardcase every time. Mine has been to the USA many times, Turkey, Morocco, Portugal, Tenerife, Australia and Ireland. Some of the scrapes on it are shocking and I shudder to think what state my clubs would be in if I'd used a canvas case.
This is my main choice

Canvas with a mushroom protector or hard case

Thanks for the replies so far 👍

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve had a Big Max Aqua since 2016 and it’s been brilliant. Has 4 full motion wheels on the base as well as the two big wheels for pulling it along. Means it glides around while upright in the airport, much easier.

Also offers decent protection. It’s been on 15 trips and still in top condition.

mister v

Visit site
Club Glove bag and a strong arm club protector . i was lucky enough to buy the club glove bag on ebay from the usa for about £100 all in , i'd never heard of them but its been on a lot of trips and is still going strong.
Enjoy your trip mate