Flex or regular shaft

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have been playing for a year and been having lessons as I go. My driving was OK using a TM Burner 2.0 with regular shaft but thought as I am in my 60's that a flex shaft might suit me better. With the Burner I was driving 160 to 170 yards on average but with best drives of 190 to 200 yards (measured by GPS).

To get a flex shaft I had to change to the R11 but since changing my average drive has reduced to 150 yards and best drives 160 to 165 yards.

Is it me or has the change to a flex shaft cost me distance off the tee?

B

birdieman

Sounds like A flex may be too soft, I'd go back to regular if it's giving your more yards off the tee. I know plenty seniors using regular flex, 60's ain't so old these days!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The R flex in the TM Burner is really not terribly stiff, so the A flex shaft is going to be like a wet noodle. Ask your pro to watch you hit some and he will be able to tell you if you are failing to get the ball properly flighted.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest I am 65 and only weigh around 9 stone soaking wet. I thought Ok I'm going to need A flex m flex senior flex or what ever you want to call them. It was like playing with bamboo canes. The ball just went anywhere. Turns out. A high launch lightweight stiff shaft was the best for me. So as Ethan says have a chat with your pro.