Flat Swing

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a flat swing :confused:but no problems with my ball flight, it is neutral. My divots are straight at the target.
I play off 17 and hit a 7 iron about 150 yards.
I've had lessons from numerous pros who all say the same about my flat swing.Ive tried numerous drills and really worked on my swing and although it's not as flat as it was, it still is a bit flat.
My dilemma is I'm playing ok and could improve further by working on my short game as I know this will bring my handicapp down. Driver goes about 220-230 3 wood about 200.
Should I be so hung up on my flat swing or am I trying to be a perfectionist

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If numerous pros say that its too flat then I would heed their advice and make the change.

Like most changes it will probably set you back in the short, mid term but the in the long run you will be better off.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
without seeing the swing, knowing how old you are, what your asperations are etc it's impossible to do anything but generalise....

our 2 pros have differing advice for mine - one says I have to sort it out and we spent a lot of time on the 'right' position and plane...the other suggests that I should focus on my tempo and the area through impact....

right now I am not sure how flat I am swinging, but as no-one has commented on it for a bit I guess it's 'better' - what I do know is that whenever I think about it I'm dead.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm 44 and have played seriously for 5 years, hacked about for 7 years before that, more off than on. I'm hitting the ball straight and decent distance and my knowledge has increased considerably about the swing/ game. But I am a bit of a perfectionist/very hard on myself. However I have this nagging thought in the back of my mind that I need to work on my swing and make it more upright.
In terms of how far I want to get, yes I would like to get to 9/10 but realise I have started late in life and have to accept my limits compared to maybe someone who played as a kid and had things better in grooved.

tagnut69

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a look on Advanced Ball Striking, acording to the guy how runs it a flat swing is the only true swing, all others are faulty. His argument is that if it was good enough for Hogan then its good enough for every body

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah but what about Miguel Jimenez and Matt Kucher, they've got flat swings and it doesn't seem to hurt them

Yes, but have you got all day and years of practise to make it work?

Go with the Pro....it'll be worth it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
His argument is that if it was good enough for Hogan then its good enough for every body

Ben Hogan swung the club as good as anybody before or since. However, he was not that tall and did i.m.o. swing around himself quite perfectly. Although it looks a little flatter than what we expect these days, he's spot on plane throughout and nowhere near the flat angles of M-A Jimenez and even Vijay. It's a great swing to want to emulate. Compared to some of the great 1980s-1990s golfers it seems weird, but actually it's better. Less to go wrong when there's nothing to manipulate. It is perfection, quite why anyone decided the correct thing was to suddenly get all upright after the initial move away from the ball is a mystery.

:)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my wee brain cant understand a two plane swing at all. it just seems so wrong to me and i cant for the life of me swing it!

stick with what you have would be my advice! refine that, dont dismantle it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Working with a teaching pro on the Plane Truth system and the one plane is much flatter than I've ever swung it. Only had four lessons on the swing (plus a bunker and chipping lesson) and yet I've hit the ball as well and consitently in 2012 as I have in a long time. Not perfect by a long chalk but less moving parts and less things to check when it goes wrong

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless it's horrendously flat, then I'd be inclined to stick pretty much with it.

It's probably more important to consider how tall (and general body shape) you are than age. Steep swings tend to suit tall players; flat swings shorter ones. Seve, very tall for his time, tried to flatten his swing and it was possibly his devotion to this change that destroyed his long game. Matt Kuchar just looks plain weird, but it's consistent.

If you aew getting good results with a slightly flat swing (s opposed to a baseball one) then concentrate on the short game!

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd be hung up on it. A one plane swing isn't necessarily a flat swing. Get a video of it (from the front and the side) and upload it to Youtube. Most people who describe their swing as FLAT actually then come down too steep and often 'over the top' hitting weak fades/slices or pull hooks.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After reading Homers post and the attachment Planetruthgolf, I'm a lot happier with my swing. Thanks very much Homer.
I've also looked at a few videos on you tube explaining different swing technics. One on here says that the 1plane swing can appear flater.
Didn't realise until now but a guy I was talking to at the range who said I swing flat actually has a 2 plane swing, and was giving me guidance to a 2 plane swing. He was telling me to turn and then lift the arms. Well this is a 2 plane swing and isn't me. Just goes to show good intentions can be misleading and sadly damaging

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
well i for one swing wild flat.

i dont think its ideal, but i hit the ball grand and think ive almost enough distance to go low, just need to get my tempo/timing abit settled to insure i keep my ball striking pure.

but no doubt ill try to work on the flatness when im at the range next.

btw im just empathizing with you, ive no idea whether its imperative to change or not, nor do i have any idea whether its really any barrier to me or you getting better and shooting lower.

maybe bobmac can tell us, (if he still frequents this new forum format)

Phil

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Totally agree about the 2 plane swing, what happens there is the shoulders turn relatively flat (level to the ground) and the arms 'lift' the club.

In a one plane swing your arms 'echo' the plane of your shoulders so both end up tilted down towards the ball somewhat,... it's pretty useless if your shoulders are flat as in a 2 plane swing :p