Fixing a Push Hook

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I need some advice please.

After much perseverance I’ve managed to turn a inconsistent slice into a consistent push hook. (Starts going 5 yards right of target, ends up 15 yards left)

What’s the easiest way to turn it into somehintg that hits the target?
  1. Get the face more open.
  2. Get the path less in to out*.
Thanks in advance.

*Corrected after Bob's post.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It would depend on your grip, swing path and aim.
If your aim is ok and the ball is starting right, I doubt your swing is out to in.
Have you checked your grip?

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Contact feels good (as far as I can tell) most of the time and vertical flight is good. Ball seems to stay right of/on target till apex then goes left as it falls.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The easiest way to test is to open the face a touch at address then grip it normally.
The ball should then start a little further right before it draws.
I would still suspect a slightly strong grip isn't helping and check your body aim

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe a daft question. But if its consistent, why not play with it? Set up and aim, so it gives you the whole fairway to come back to.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe a daft question. But if its consistent, why not play with it? Set up and aim, so it gives you the whole fairway to come back to.

You cant always do that Dave. When the fairway is tight you don't always have room, it will lose you distance as well.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Also the more right I aim the bigger the hook - so the ball always ends up left of the intended target.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I've got the same. Guessing it hooks more because like me you're not confident that it will come back left, so you overcompensate by turning your wrists over more to make sure you get it back, and it spears left instead.

I think I need to straighten my swing up more because it's a fine line between a hook into the left rough, or a push into the right rough.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
You cant always do that Dave. When the fairway is tight you don't always have room, it will lose you distance as well.

As I said a daft question. It is just that I have a slight push/fade (only with the driver). Only moves 10 to 15 foot in the air. But I can hit it every time. So I stopped trying to straighten it up and just play to it. That was the only reason I suggested it.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Too early to say it sorted but manged to nip to the range tonight.

Set-up with the face open and the push hook turned into a push.

Managed to grab a bay with a mirror behind with a 120 target directly in front bingo:-

Footline pointing 10yards left of target, shoulders pointing at least 5 yards further left. Used the mirror to point everything at the target and started hitting it straight.

Only had 7 iron with me so will have to see about the longer clubs but looks promising.

If the weight question was aimed at me the answer is weight is evenly distributed along front edge of left foot, unless I try to smash it at which point weight ends up on heel usually ending up with a pull hook.

Thanks for the pointers Bob - very much appriceated.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The shot you describe in your OP is perfectly OK, in fact a lot of golfers strive to hit that shot. What exactly is the problem?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got an in-out path, I'm working on a draw, but it won't come. I never hook the ball.

Many years ago, I played with a consistent 2-5 degree push, but counteracted it with a strong-ish grip.

My grip this season is more neutral, I'd rather fix the path than the face......wasted too many years fighting the hook-out-the-blue.