Finding a club to join?

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
I want to join a club but want to know exactly what I should be looking for / what questions I should be asking when looking around.

I am currently a bit of a nomad and have been playing around Cambridge for the last few years or so.

Recently the group that I usually play with seem to have fallen out of love with the game.
I on the other hand can’t get enough of the game and would be out every day if only I didn’t have to work.

I have had a few lessons and feel as though my swing is improving all the time.
I don’t have a handicap and have been nudging on breaking a 100 the last few times out.

In terms of joining a club, I want to join a club that offers the chance to join up with others and get out regularly but I am not too keen on the competition side of things just yet.

Is this how all clubs work, i.e. are there regular just turn up type days or is it comps only and then people form their own groups?
Do clubs have some kind of noticeboard for people looking for a game or is this not the way it works?

All the websites of the clubs in the area talk of being “friendly” etc and welcoming members of all abilities etc but none seem to mention quite how it works on a day to day basis.

So what is the best way to try and finds a club that would help get me out on the course as much as possible?

Cheers Bob

:(

Putting_Green_Pro

Q-School Graduate
www.heyrosegolfclub.com
Avoid: Bar Hill golf club, it is right next to the A14 so isn't great
Longstanton golf club, it is a municipal so again isn't great

Try: Bourn golf club, i played it the other day and although the weather wasn't great the course played well. the food there is also great and they don't hold back on the portions
Gog magog golf club (Girton) holds the regional open qualifier and has 2 courses. It also holds the Lagonda cup which has been won by Westwood so again must be a half decent track

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends on a lot of things. How big is the budget (there may be a joining fee on top of the subs for the first year). How far are you prepared to travel. Do you want to play competitions. Are they drawn or is it a case of the same guys booking the same time with their mates. That makes it very hard to break in and get a game or meet other members.

Do you like to practice. What practice facilities does it have. Will you be using the clubhouse afterwards for a quick drink or do you like to eat there. What is the service like and do they keep a good beer. What is the decor of the clubhouse and changing rooms like. Whats the pro like. Does he have a good range.

Like I say these are things I'd be looking at before making my choice

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gog magog golf club (Girton) holds the regional open qualifier and has 2 courses. It also holds the Lagonda cup which has been won by Westwood so again must be a half decent track

Unless you've got £2000 lying around for the first years fees then dont bother

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
cheers for the suggestions, I think Gog Magog might be a little over the top for the first year but Bourn looks like a possibility.

In terms of facilities, I tend to use the local range but somewhere to practice the short game would be good.
In terms of clubhouse I am not that fussed to start with.

It is more the playing side of things that I am interested in and whether or not it will be easy enough to find people to play with.

Putting_Green_Pro

Q-School Graduate
www.heyrosegolfclub.com
If you are interested in Bourn it has... a very large putting green, a 9 hole par 3 course with the longest hole being about 160ish. There is also another large putting green at the par 3 course so if you need to practise alone that would be a good place to go.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Something else to consider is how the course holds up in winter. I heard the drainage was bad at my course but chose to ignore the advice and joined because it was cheap. Turned out to be false economy as the course cannot cope with any sort of rainfall, started a round last week with greens OK, rained for half an hour and the ball was then plugging on the greens. Fairways are always soaked and I haven;t had one round so far this year that didn't include at least some temps. Unfortunately the 4 courses on my shortlist to move to are expensive and difficult to get in, but I'm sure they'll provide better value in the long run