Feet of putts holed

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is not a thread for the faint hearted...:p

As part of my interest in stats :mmm: I have recently started pacing the length of my putts on the green.(Use this for my Strokes Gained stats but that for another thread lol) This itself is easy to do and after a while you can estimate pretty accurately so it adds zero extra time onto the round.

I simply pace out my "yard" pace and times it by 3 to give me an estimated distance. These numbers are recorded on my card.

Is this a stat anyone else keeps?

The results are very interesting...to me anyway :)

So what can I learn from these stats?

Firstly I added up the total feet of putts holed.

These varied from 23, 39, 49, 49 and 52 for the five games I have recorded. The higher the number the better the putting… I think. My longest putt holed was only 12 feet.
The other interesting information from these results are the distance of putts I am missing. I can see exactly the distances I am missing putts from but also in a positive stand over a 12 foot putt and know that I holed three of them in the last five rounds.

It helps if you can forget all the 2,3,4 and 5 footers that you missed.:ears:

Once I gathered a dozen or so rounds of stats I can then use the strokes gained spreadsheet to highlight the distances I am successful from and where I need to work.

At least it's cheaper than a lesson!

So does this distract you from your game?

Certainly didn't for me today when I managed to win my Division II medal and get a nice wee cut into the bargain :swing:

PS If you want to reply about how stats are a waste of time :blah::blah::blah: don't bother as this thread is about using these stats to help my game.

Cheers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As with most stats, this one needs a context...
You could, in theory, have 18 x 35 foot putts that all lip out and finish less than a foot away?
So you end up holing about 16 feet of putts when I'd say you'd had a decent putting day and with an ounce of luck a few may have dropped.
So it's not perfect but it can be a useful one..and if you're holing 100 feet of putts then you're onto a winner..

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could, in theory, have 18 x 35 foot putts that all lip out and finish less than a foot away?
So you end up holing about 16 feet of putts when I'd say you'd had a decent putting day and with an ounce of luck a few may have dropped.
So it's not perfect but it can be a useful one..and if you're holing 100 feet of putts then you're onto a winner..

That would be a great day putting if you are getting everything to 1 foot.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's true. I had a pretty good putting day today but took 36 putts and holed nothing of any note. However, I scared the hole with lots of long putts that might have dropped but either lipped out or sneaked past leaving a tap in.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did this a few years ago for my coach for a season. I did a spread sheet that showed ONLY greens in regulation putts of each hole and the average for that hole throughout the rounds, plus the total length of putts I had for each round. I recorded Differing colours used for eagle, birdie, par, bogie and doubles.

I could then work out the average length of putts I was leaving per hole, and it worked out to around 18ft, but when he got me to exclude ALL putts outside of 20ft that figure obviously dropped and was around 8ft. So it gave me a specific figure that I could concentrate on practising from.

Its a more accurate way of knowing if you had a good day on the greens or not, then the GIR figure that really tells you nothing.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did this a few years ago for my coach for a season. I did a spread sheet that showed ONLY greens in regulation putts of each hole and the average for that hole throughout the rounds, plus the total length of putts I had for each round. I recorded Differing colours used for eagle, birdie, par, bogie and doubles.

I could then work out the average length of putts I was leaving per hole, and it worked out to around 18ft, but when he got me to exclude ALL putts outside of 20ft that figure obviously dropped and was around 8ft. So it gave me a specific figure that I could concentrate on practising from.

Its a more accurate way of knowing if you had a good day on the greens or not, then the GIR figure that really tells you nothing.

I like the sound if that. Do you still have that spread sheet and are you willing to share it? :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want to increase the information, you could add if the putts were..........
uphill, downhill or flat
short, dead weight or long
misread or mishit

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Initially wondered why the figure was as low, then got it. It is only the length of the holed putts you count. Do you also note where the first putts miss ? Left, right, short or ong.
I remember seeing a system for taking all these notes but can't remember where it was.
Think I may need a bigger notepad to take out with me to supplement my GameGolf info :D

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want to increase the information, you could add if the putts were..........
uphill, downhill or flat
short, dead weight or long
misread or mishit

Like that idea and would be simple enough to add. Be interested to see how many of my 1 foot putts are the result of coming up short and not by the hole?

Initially wondered why the figure was as low, then got it. It is only the length of the holed putts you count. Do you also note where the first putts miss ? Left, right, short or ong.
I remember seeing a system for taking all these notes but can't remember where it was.
Think I may need a bigger notepad to take out with me to supplement my GameGolf info :D

Not yet :)

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
Yes I do this. I use a Microsoft Band to track my shots and give me my analysis in 'strokes gained'. I only measure the first putt on the green because apparently that's all that counts with 'strokes gained'. I'm not bothered about my longest putt or shortest miss because the 'strokes gained' tells me how many putts I'm giving the average scratch golfer and whether I'm improving or not. At the moment I'm losing more shots on my approach so that's what I'm focussing on.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I do this. I use a Microsoft Band to track my shots and give me my analysis in 'strokes gained'. I only measure the first putt on the green because apparently that's all that counts with 'strokes gained'. I'm not bothered about my longest putt or shortest miss because the 'strokes gained' tells me how many putts I'm giving the average scratch golfer and whether I'm improving or not. At the moment I'm losing more shots on my approach so that's what I'm focussing on.

I'm liking the other information I'm getting from measuring all putts. Maybe after some more rounds I might change how I record it.

Sorry for the late reply, been away today.
Im not sure I've got it now TBH. If I had I would of sent it thru to you.

No problems, cheers. :thup: