FedExCup - a welcome change?

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
What do we all think of the FedExCup, the new playoff style mini series that will get underway in August 2007?

An article has been posted on the homepage of the website, highlighting the benefits and possible problems associated with it.

Is it just an excuse for the top pros, greedy sponsors and TV networks to boost their bank accounts? Is it unfair that so many world ranking points are available only to USPGA Tour members? If it really takes off will the European Tour see more of its players moving to the States full time? Or will it revolutionise the way we watch golf when the drama of the Majors is over in a positive way?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a load of rubbish. The Americans are trying to squeeze all the life out of the European Tour. All the euros will have to play in the FED EX cup because of all the world ranking points available. It's an absolute disgrace. Money grabbing of the highest order.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know what anyone else thinks but a $10 million winner's cheque for the best performance from four tournaments? Call me old-fashioned but nobody needs $10m. It's just another sign of the demise of "true" sport worldwide.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with golfdonkey. I just hope not too many more European stars are lured West by cash.

The US players are just so mercenary, it's all about the money for them. It's one of the key reasons they don't do well at the R. Cup - no money at stake. As long as our boys continue to play with pride, for the trophies rather than the winner's cheques, we'll have the upper-hand in Ryder Cups for a while to come.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Unfortunately this is the way golf is going - player power is so strong that the changes to the schedule we're seeing next year and the increase in prize funds are inevitable

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree that Golf just has to head that way because that is what TV demands and TV rules sport these days - the more fields with the best players in the world means higher ratings and higher AD revenue....sad but true!
Wonder what will happen to European tour during those months? Top players will have to go but maybe it will add some depth to Euro Tour coz players are free to come through and experience 'how to win'....is this just the hopeful and optimistic blabbering of a patriot?!

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All this talk of outdoing prize money stumped up by non golf sponsors means golf is starting to get like over commercial like football which has left a bad taste in my mouth. Top players are soon going to be reluctant to get out of bed for less than £1million. If teh open wasn't a major the yanks wouldn't cross the pond, some can't be bothered anyway and start whining about the wind and the rough being unfair.