fat and thin shots

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
I had problem hitting the ground before the ball, that I thought I had cured, but the last couple of games the problem returned with a vengence.

Thing is, I was also hitting them thin on occasion too. I think my problem is dipping just before impact with the ball. During my last game I asked my son in law to see if I was dipping. Although I didn't think I was, and concentrating hard not to. He told me it was a massive dip.

Are they any drills. I have tried a piece of gaffer tape on a mat just in front of the ball, and practiced hitting the ball without touching the tape. Its not working, I still hit the tape about 30% of the time. I think when I try to avoid it I sometimes top instead.

They dropped me two shot on general play over winter, but on last few games I'll soon have them back, gone up 0.2, not happy

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This was a problem for me, in fact i lifted on the backswing and dipped in the downswing

My lessons had me keep the flex in my right leg ( do not let straighten ) this helped reduce the rise in the backswing

Stopping the dipping is harder but a feeling of keeping my chin up and really getting my weight across to my left leg in the downswing using my lower body to start the downswing made a huge difference and made better contact

Beware trying to look up and take a peek of the shot as this will start the tops etc

Hope this helps as it made my game a misery losing alot of distance as hitting so fat

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a pro recently pointed out to me that the fat and thin shot are probably the same thing happening and is because you are striking the ground too far behind. Most likely you're coming down, skimming the turf and then as the club rises hitting the back of the ball to create the thin and when you do take a divot, in the wet conditions this slides under the ball to create the fat.

One option to correct this problem is to put a piece of broken tee an inch or two in front of your ball and try to ensure your stroke also takes that away when you hit the ball. Also when you line up for your shot, very very slightly tilt your head to be slightly behind the ball starting taking your swing. Has worked a treat for me.