Farrington GC Somerset.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, just wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the above course? I have moved to Somerset recently from Surrey and looking to join somewhere probably the start of next year, at the moment I’m just playing different courses in the area.
I’ve played Farrington several times now and although It’s certainly not the closest (I’m in Street) it’s the course I like the best. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the rest of the club ie how friendly are the members, are there any roll ups, what is the course like in winter etc. I know the obvious answer is to go and talk to the pro and pick his brain but I can’t really warrant joining until next year as I’m still paying monthly subs to my last club which I can’t get out of.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry I haven't played Farrington recently but I'll ask around, have you considered the Mendip? Played there quite bit I quite like it and the club house seems reasonable. One advantage of the Mendip is that they are member of the 1908 club, which means members of the GC in the 1908 can play 1 round a year at other clubs that are in the 1908 either FOC or 50% GF

See https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...mbed&ie=UTF8&mid=1fq6AhhnzxM7WKkhH2AZ5ZzuByXk

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks, I did read about the 1908 club on their website but not sure how much l would use it. I’ve played The Mendip but just liked the course at Farrington a bit better.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
You’re right, still cheap compared to Surrey but I’m semi retired now so have to think about these things. Also when I played it I found it a very hard course, narrow fairways and punishing if you weren’t on them, not sure I could play to that standard every time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Living in Street I would definitely give Mendip consideration, (close than Farringdon).

I have not played Farringdon for many years but my memory was of it being a bit prone to waterlogging on the opening holes.

Wells is bit quirky to some, Orchardleigh (Frome) is very worthy of consideration, Long Sutton can flood and become unplayable on a lot of holes in severe wet weather

Depending on how far you want to travel - Yeovil (where I play is very good), Enmore (south of Bridgewater) and Oake Manor (west of Taunton) are all worthy of consideration

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Living in Street I would definitely give Mendip consideration, (close than Farringdon).

I have not played Farringdon for many years but my memory was of it being a bit prone to waterlogging on the opening holes.

Wells is bit quirky to some, Orchardleigh (Frome) is very worthy of consideration, Long Sutton can flood and become unplayable on a lot of holes in severe wet weather

Depending on how far you want to travel - Yeovil (where I play is very good), Enmore (south of Bridgewater) and Oake Manor (west of Taunton) are all worthy of consideration

Thanks for the info, I did wonder about the first 5 holes down the bottom and what they would be like in the rainy season.
We played Orchardleigh on Monday to try it out, nice course but it was 26 miles from home and with the traffic and slowish roads it took almost an hour to get there.
Not tried Wells yet but may give Mendip another go and see what I think second time around. Still I’m enjoying trying out all these new places, only working 2 days a week now so plenty of time to choose.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Farrington is a nice track, but it depends what you're looking for out of a club, quite corporate and soulless.

I would certainly take another look at The Mendip, a proper members club, with a nice course only let down by the 18th which is only missing the windmill.
However I played there a couple of weeks ago, and the club have already started work to change this, and a new range as well

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Farrington is a nice track, but it depends what you're looking for out of a club, quite corporate and soulless.

I would certainly take another look at The Mendip, a proper members club, with a nice course only let down by the 18th which is only missing the windmill.
However I played there a couple of weeks ago, and the club have already started work to change this, and a new range as well

That reminded me of driving the green the first time I played there and my playing partner turned round and said you realise if you do not get that down in one or two putts then you have them £5 each (I had just told him to tell me what I owed at the end because they were playing for some weird and wonderful side bets).