False Economies

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was thinking the other day about where it's worth spending premium money on golf equipment and where it's not, but we do anyway.

The only area I could actually think of where you should probably spend as much as you can afford was shoes. Maybe good waterproofs if you play in rain a lot.

Lets face it. Most of the other items we spend over the top on it's more to do with that we want to, rather than we need to.

I'm sure I'd play pretty much the same with a budget ball and a reasonable set of 2nd hand clubs. Even a cheaper GPS or Range finder give you all you really need 99% of the time.

BUT, after going cheap out on a couple of pairs of shoes and them practically crippling me, that's the one area I'm more than happy to spend top dollar.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not sure that spending top dollar on shoes guarantees anything. I had a pair of Footjoy Tourdrys a few years ago, I couldn't walk more than 100 yards in them. Personally I would look for a pair of shoes that are comfortable first and buy a pair of sealskinz socks if you are going to be playing a lot in the rain.
I would recommend getting fitted for clubs if you want to play good golf and also sticking to the same ball. Doesn't matter what ball really as long as you know how it will react to your shots.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I must be the only golfer on here who doesn't actually notice if I have wet feet or not whilst playing. It is only ever when I finish my round and take my shoes off that I will even notice.

Akin to playing footy in the rain. Its not as if you run around acutely aware of your sodden feet.

It has to be proper wet for my Ashworth shoes to let in water.

On the flip side. If I can I will always get my arms out. Hate the feeling of restriction from long sleeve tops. Obviously it cannot be helped if its too cold but as soon as the temperature is bearable, my arms will be freed from their shackles.

Everyone is different I suppose.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Waterproofs. Cheap = wet

I think your shoes must be comfy but I am less worried about waterproofing, previously obsessed with it, as I have also joined the sealskinz crew.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many get plenty of pleasure out of the equipment, as much as the golf in some cases.

I don't judge those, unless it's causing their family financial hardship. It's their money and their choice.

I am very frugal, takes a lot to get me to part with cash. I have to justify anything over £40 quite solidly to myself and I never buy anything unless I am certain I can afford it. Makes treating myself a lot harder I will tell you!

I need a new PC at the moment, currently can't buy it until July thanks to my personal rules...

Same goes for the whole new set of golf clubs I want. Won't buy till I'm a club member again, then going to get a full ping fitting!

Loads of time to ensure I can afford it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its up to you i suppose, ive a friend who hasn't changed anything in the last 10 years. plays of 3 and has been that most of his golfing life.

He announced on the 1st tee last time we played last that he had just got a new driver... it was a Ping Rapture.... at least 10 years old.

another, has a different new club in the bag on a weekly basis, again off 3

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many get plenty of pleasure out of the equipment, as much as the golf in some cases.

I don't judge those, unless it's causing their family financial hardship. It's their money and their choice.

I am very frugal, takes a lot to get me to part with cash. I have to justify anything over £40 quite solidly to myself and I never buy anything unless I am certain I can afford it. Makes treating myself a lot harder I will tell you!

I need a new PC at the moment, currently can't buy it until July thanks to my personal rules...

Same goes for the whole new set of golf clubs I want. Won't buy till I'm a club member again, then going to get a full ping fitting!

It's funny you should say that but I'm starting to become very similar to you but for different reasons.

Maybe it's just me getting old but I've started to question the 'value' of things a lot, which partly led me to the thoughts in this thread.

The reality is, and I hope this doesn't come off looking like I'm boasting, is that I'm not exactly poor. If I want something then I usually just buy it. And it's more that that has got me questioning the value of things, yeah I can afford it but is it worth it kind of thing.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's funny you should say that but I'm starting to become very similar to you but for different reasons.

Maybe it's just me getting old but I've started to question the 'value' of things a lot, which partly led me to the thoughts in this thread.

The reality is, and I hope this doesn't come off looking like I'm boasting, is that I'm not exactly poor. If I want something then I usually just buy it. And it's more that that has got me questioning the value of things, yeah I can afford it but is it worth it kind of thing.

If you want it and can afford it, buy it. That's my philosophy. I have become more aware over the last couple of years that, particularly with golf, you will be buying regularly with that philosophy as something new is always round the corner. I was desperate to buy a g30, bought it, wanted an m1, waited for the new version, tried the GBB Epic, want that. Decided to stick to my G30, not spending near enough £500 for me to want something else in 6 months.

Maybe I am maturing....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you want it and can afford it, buy it. That's my philosophy. I have become more aware over the last couple of years that, particularly with golf, you will be buying regularly with that philosophy as something new is always round the corner. I was desperate to buy a g30, bought it, wanted an m1, waited for the new version, tried the GBB Epic, want that. Decided to stick to my G30, not spending near enough £500 for me to want something else in 6 months.

Maybe I am maturing....

Have all 3 simple as;)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I can't say I've come across anyone that has a golf equipment habit so serious that it's pushed their family below the poverty line!

As others have said, each to their own. I might spend a significant some on clubs every now and then but tend to hang on to them a long time. I get good value for money that way, rather than being uber frugal on each purchase. For me, that actually represents better value as I would change clubs more often had I not bought the ones I actually wanted in the first place.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Clothing; I buy new but usually only in the sales.

Balls; I'll buy new but also play finders.

Clubs; Normally buy used but I bought my irons new a couple of years back as I had a good Pro-Shop account, but I very much doubt I'll ever buy new again as there's so much used gear out there for a fraction of the cost. Fitted clubs might knock half a shot off per round but I'm not that worried about my handicap to pay the extra. I also get a lot of enjoyment playing vintage gear as can be seen from my signature.

I spend far more money on membership and playing other courses, a much better way of parting with your hard earned in my view.

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
I buy recent clubs because I like them, for example I'm chopping in my aeroburner 22 hybrid for an m2 22 to match my 19 degree m2. No real difference between the 2 other then aesthetics, I don't drink every weekend like a lot of my pals or smoke so golf is my only real vice in life.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you can afford it and:

- Need it
- Want it
- Like the look of it
- Think it will make you play better.

Buy it, you're a long time dead. And, your other half will only buy something with it that is of absolutely no use to you out on the golf course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I must be the only golfer on here who doesn't actually notice if I have wet feet or not whilst playing. It is only ever when I finish my round and take my shoes off that I will even notice.

Akin to playing footy in the rain. Its not as if you run around acutely aware of your sodden feet.

It has to be proper wet for my Ashworth shoes to let in water.

On the flip side. If I can I will always get my arms out. Hate the feeling of restriction from long sleeve tops. Obviously it cannot be helped if its too cold but as soon as the temperature is bearable, my arms will be freed from their shackles.

Everyone is different I suppose.

But you're not different to me - as I agree 100% with this, hate the feeling of waterproofs and would rather just get wet than wear them - it has to be bucketing for me to pull them on. Happy to get wet if I know I can get dry when I want to afterwards. And for ever rolling up sleeves on long sleeve jerseys or if I can I pull up sleeves of other tops.

Last edited:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

- Need it
- Want it
- Like the look of it

Buy it, you're a long time dead. And, your other half will only buy something with it that is of absolutely no use to you out on the golf course.

Tell me about it. She has suitcases stuffed with clothes with the labels all still on. Some have even gone to charity shops without being worn.

If you want some new golf gear and can afford it then buy it. :thup:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

- Need it
- Want it
- Like the look of it

Firmly in this camp.

With regards to the original post, shoes and waterproofs, but in saying that, have found it very difficult to find a good set of waterproofs. My GG experience a few years back (on a thread here somewhere) put me off ever buying from them again. Have since tried Sunice, Oscar Jacobson and now Under Armour, the latter being the best so far. Shoes also hard to find any that keep my feet dry for more than a few weeks, but a pair of sealsknz resolves that.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Waterproofs. Cheap = wet

I think your shoes must be comfy but I am less worried about waterproofing, previously obsessed with it, as I have also joined the sealskinz crew.

Finally! LT you're wrong! Palm Springs waterproofs. Full set 30 notes delivered from E bay. I've had them for ooooo 4 years now. Perfect. Breathable too!

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apart fomr the obvious membership, for me, the area I spend most on, on a regular basis, is lessons. And I would spend more if I could.

I dip into equipment every now and again. Electric trolley about a year ago. An M2 3 wood with the AG double discount trade in deal. Picked up a new putter at Help for Heroes in September and now considering a new set of wedges - I just need to understand why you need 3??

Now if money was no issue, I'd treat myself to a full set of new set of clubs, fitted irons and woods!