Fa Cup Or Top Four

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
What would you rather for you team?

Winning the FA Cup or finishing fourth in the league

Louis claims winning the FA cup would be the greater achievement while Arsene insists finishing fourth is better

What would you prefer for your team?

D

Deleted Member 1156

As a Southampton fan I would take a cup win. We don't win very many trophies :(

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Top 4 for me.
The FA cup is nice to add to a league title or winning the CL but winning the FA cup & finishing out of the top 4 isn't good enough for the top teams imo.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
What would you rather for you team?

Winning the FA Cup or finishing fourth in the league

Louis claims winning the FA cup would be the greater achievement while Arsene insists finishing fourth is better

What would you prefer for your team?

So Louis is bigging up the only one he has a chance of.

Hmmmm nothing at all obvious there.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a leading team, top 4 is everything. FA Cup is for teams with no hope of top 4, or for seasons with dramatic underachievement. LvG is acknowledging the latter. A few seasons back, MUFC didn't even enter the FA Cup.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
30 years ago FA Cup for sure. The biggest day in the calendar by far and every player wanted a winners medal. These days, I'd say top 4 much more important. Champions league football is where it's at and where all the top players want to be.

It's a pity but times change.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It isnt a fair question. The FA Cup has been so denigrated that its almost laughable now. What time are they kicking off today? Disgraceful from the FA. Why the game isnt kicking off at 3pm is beyond me.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FA Cup. Top 4, and then getting knocked out in group stages or indeed failing to qualify (4th) doesn't get you on the honours list.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
It isnt a fair question. The FA Cup has been so denigrated that its almost laughable now. What time are they kicking off today? Disgraceful from the FA. Why the game isnt kicking off at 3pm is beyond me.
I think it is a fair question, it is what would you prefer your team to achieve, a personal opinion and judging by the answers a rough split down the middle

D

Deleted member 15344

FA Cup

The idea in football is to win trophies

It's a shame some have come to class getting into the top 4 is "winning"

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FA Cup

I agree. But i think English football has lost its way on that issue and the ££££ on offer for the CL circus now rules. Finish 4th, make lots of money, qualify for the CL, make more money.

Not sure about the attitude of clubs abroad.

D

Deleted member 16999

FA Cup

I agree FA Cup, but they don't see top 4 as winning, they see top 4 as successful.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have seen the comment "win a CL place" - that sums it up how bad it is

You can win third prize in a raffle, you've still won something, just words mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The build up and excitement of being in contention to win something is what it's all about surely.

Compare Arsenal (for example) and Liverpool this season. Arsenal were nowhere in ANY competitions they played in, be it cups or the league, they did, however, finish 2nd in the league a few lengths behind the winners due to a late surge and other teams wilting . I can't imagine any excitement for Arsenal fans this season.
Take Liverpool. On the face of it, 8th and nothing else is poor but it doesn't tell the story. One of the most sought after managers arrived, great wins over Chelsea and Man City in the league, a Wembley final, exciting wins over Man U, Dortmund and Villarreal in Europe, leading to another final. All in all nothing in the trophy cabinet, but a season with lots of entertainment, excitement, great nights out and chances to win stuff.

D

Deleted member 16999

The build up and excitement of being in contention to win something is what it's all about surely.

Compare Arsenal (for example) and Liverpool this season. Arsenal were nowhere in ANY competitions they played in, be it cups or the league, they did, however, finish 2nd in the league a few lengths behind the winners due to a late surge and other teams wilting . I can't imagine any excitement for Arsenal fans this season.
Take Liverpool. On the face of it, 8th and nothing else is poor but it doesn't tell the story. One of the most sought after managers arrived, great wins over Chelsea and Man City in the league, a Wembley final, exciting wins over Man U, Dortmund and Villarreal in Europe, leading to another final. All in all nothing in the trophy cabinet, but a season with lots of entertainment, excitement, great nights out and chances to win stuff.

Said nobody ever!

Same again next year OK or just runners up in the League?