Explain how "Hat" Competition operates at your club?

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Hi there, I have been hearing from a lot of friends & members of other clubs that operate a Hat competition over 9 holes during the week. Something friendly aimed at those who work and don't have time to play an 18 hole mid week competition after work. All of the talk I have heard has been positive from people who play in them.

Does anyone have a similar type of NQ 9 hole comp running at their club and could give me a description of how you operate it and is it well supported?

It's too late this year but would like to get one set up at our club for 2015. And have it advertised this year to encourage members to stay when they see that there are plans in action etc.

Any help would be great.

Phil.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
not sure how the Hat bit gets in there but I suppose it may indicate how games are arranged?

we have a 9 hole Wed comp through the season, from May to August and it alternates front or back nine as it goes on.

£5 entry, 1 2 3 and a wildcard (drawn scorecard) win on the night (you have to be there to win) and the top 10 (and ties) score ranking points to the season finale (like the fed ex cup....)

On a Sunday in August there's a BBQ and play off for the overall prizes - top 20 ranking points play for the main event, every one else is welcome to play anyway and there's no costs to the day for anyone who played 3 or more Wed - other members can play but pay the cost of their food.

It does well in both introducing new members and providing friendly competitive golf for others. Be aware that starting from the 10th with such events effectively closes the 1st tee from about 1400 (for a 1600 start) which can cause issues.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much like Duncan's set up we have a role up on a Thursday 9 holes played between 4.30-6pm over the summer months. Again anyone can play, one week it might be a team event next a stableford.
We have a Menu that we can pick from before we go out the chef has all the tee times so your meal is ready or near enough when you finish.
It was started many years ago to introduce new members to the club and it has grown into what it is today.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We run a supper club in the simmer on a Wednesday night between 4.30 and 6.30 with cards marked and the pot allocated around 8.00. There's a choice of food available. Players can just roll up and go out so not drawn in the true sense. Various formats over 9 holes (follow the flag etc). Hugely popular. Everyone knows its on. Thise wanting to play get the other nine (usually to themselves) and people can make arrangements to leave early etc.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
never heard of a 'Hat' competition.

Are you sure it wasn't car keys getting thrown in, if so yer in the wrong forum

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hat comp just up the road here Phil, two guys within the club organise and run it. tees open from 4.30 until around 7.30 and does quite well each wednesday with around 60-80 usually.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a comp called B51 on Thursday evenings. It's 9 holes and half of your handicap at the start. From there on you can be cut in the B51 but there is never a B51 increase. so once you're cut you're cut. The winner gets 5 balls, 2nd gets 4 etc. The winner also gets to keep a trophy for the week. At the end of the season there is an away day and £1 from each time you enter goes towards the away day should you choose to attend.

The clubhouse also have a B51 special meal on that's a fiver. Usually lasagne or pie or something along those lines.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we have a similar thing on Thursdays,we have a 9 hole and an 18 hole comp and you pay for the one you are going to enter on a roll up basis,both comps run all day last tee time 5-30.
Being on a Thursday this get decided and the winner paid out the same evening just before the comp sheet for the following week goes up on the board,the club house is chocker block.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Hat comp just up the road here Phil, two guys within the club organise and run it. tees open from 4.30 until around 7.30 and does quite well each wednesday with around 60-80 usually.

It was a member from your place that put the idea into my head Brendy. Though I didn't get a chance to pick their brains on how it was operated.

And today i heard how Knock do theirs. They start off by doing 9 then increase to 16 holes over a number of weeks then back down to 9 as it starts to get darker. They did £2 comp and £2 for 2's.

They run theirs through the winter as well. Call it the "Wooly hat"

To everyone else thanks for the help and if anyone else has any suggestions then feel free to pass them along.

I love the idea of making it a fiver and the away day at the end part as well.

Just trying to find something fun that people who don't have time to play the midweek comp of 18 holes due to work etc can get out and play in something else instead, an incentive to go out and play between weekends and a good way to raise some funds for the club, as there is a set 30% retained from all competitions. With the remainder going out as prizes.

Plus my aim is to try and fill a gap as we have a very large number of Club 55 members (Tuesday & Thursday only) and also a large number of 5 day members. 7 day members probably only make up 25-30% of our total membership within the club. So the Tuesday should appeal to all 3 membership categories and the Friday to get all the rest who may not have time on a Tuesday but finish early on a Friday.
The general opinion I have heard also being that these types of competitions tend to get more entries due to being NQ. Probably the tired from work aspect is less of a concern if only doing 9 holes, along with the time.

Any other suggestions or if anyone sees any flaws in my thinking please share. I'd prefer trying to get it as close to perfect so as there can be minimal faults found in it at the discussion table.

Thanks again

Phil