European weather

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another glorious day in South West Scotland.
It is so dry here that the farmers are being forced to feed their recently cut silage to the cows.
The village bowling green has only a few patches of green on it, definitely running fast.

Yet a few hundred miles away in Germany have scenes of utter devastation.
Something serious is happening with our world.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Another glorious day in South West Scotland.
It is so dry here that the farmers are being forced to feed their recently cut silage to the cows.
The village bowling green has only a few patches of green on it, definitely running fast.

Yet a few hundred miles away in Germany have scenes of utter devastation.
Something serious is happening with our world.
Not according to likes of Dominic Lawson from his platform in the Times.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Climate change is definitely having an impact on what is happening in the world. I only hope we are able to put enough measures in place now to alleviate some of the damage caused in the past.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Climate change is definitely having an impact on what is happening in the world. I only hope we are able to put enough measures in place now to alleviate some of the damage caused in the past.
For every Dominic Lawson there are ten of the opposite position - but as they each get one tenth of the platform of Lawson the balance of opinion can sound and appear pretty even - when it isn’t.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the biggest things has to be - 'where is the jet stream'.

Some of the unseasonal flooding in this country has been down to a lower than usual jet stream

Flooding in a lot of Dorset last Monday.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of flash flooding around the UK last week.

We've experienced flash flooding as long as I can recall. I remember the bad flooding in Bristol in the 1960s, in Worcester there is a set of flood level markers for the River Severn over the years. The highest was in 1770, the next highest in 1947. There was that awful flood in Lynmouth back in 1952 and the bad one in Boscastle in 2004. There were also the more recent floods in 2007.

No one can deny the effects of global warming but flash flooding and its associated effects have always been with us.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wasn't there an Ice Age about 10,000 years ago. The weather changes a lot over 4.5 billion years. Very little of it to do with mankind even in the last 400,000 years

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For every Dominic Lawson there are ten of the opposite position - but as they each get one tenth of the platform of Lawson the balance of opinion can sound and appear pretty even - when it isn’t.

Recently my nans road flash flooded ... She said to me and your grandad tells me climate change is a myth

I was so taken aback ..I always thought he was more sensible

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recently my nans road flash flooded ... She said to me and your grandad tells me climate change is a myth

I was so taken aback ..I always thought he was more sensible
It's real enough. We've had 400,000 years to notice it.
The fact that the continents have moved to different positions gives a clue.

D

Deleted member 18121

It's real enough. We've had 400,000 years to notice it.
The fact that the continents have moved to different positions gives a clue.

I don't think many sensible people deny the change....it's the blame game that goes with it that flummoxes me, how seemingly intelligent people lose all sense of common sense and reason.

My heart goes out to the people affected in Europe with these floods. I'm from a town in Kent that's made national news on several occasions for flooding.... I've seen boats down our high street many a time and seen first hand the devastation caused to homes and business.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My course is surprisingly not that brown given how good the weather has been. The keepers have been doing a great job watering bits that dry out.
Nairn the same been watering, they have a bore hole and a spring on the course, but some of the others have been struggling, tain was white and the had vey little water to put on the course the greens especially, no water pressure. The kings on Monday the green staff were pumping one of the upper ponds down to the big one at the lower level that feeds the sprinkler s that was already almost empty. Ironically its closed today for flooding

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I went to Aberdovey yesterday, not to play golf but noticed the course was very dry, as was all of west Wales.

I think you have to put this in some perspective.
The summer of 1976 was so dry that even the rivers nearly ran out of water.
The reservoirs were so low that the water companies were starting to panic.
Even the grass on lawns just about died and plants withered away.
No rain for 6 months or more.

Then, a deluge.

In the 1980's some scientists were predicting a new ice age.
That really would be serious.
500 million years ago the planet was covered in ice - Snowball Earth.
I'm afraid the Earths axis is inclined to tilt, so it's not just man made climate change.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Weather alert issued for this afternoon. Stay indoors, drop the shutters and switch the aircon on. Had coffee out this morning, sat on a terrace along the Playa. Even under the shade, with a sea breeze it was scorching.